QinQ WS-6-MINI

weiti

QinQ WS-6-MINI

Fri May 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi,

i read hopefully all related posts concerning QinQ, but i think there is at least some problems left. I would like to use a WS-6-Mini to interconnect my Virtualization Hosts with 2-3 L2 Environments and let them provide VM Services in every VLAN existing in all L2 Environments.

My thoughts are the following:

L2 Environment Home -> WS-6-Mini Port 2
L2 Environment TEST -> WS-6-Mini Port 3
Virtualization Host (with OpenVSwitch) -> WS-6-Mini Port 6

Adding VLAN 42 as Q on Port 2 and T on Port 6
Adding VLAN 43 as Q on Port 3 and T on Port 6

With this configuration i can see correctly tagged Pakets (outer 802.1ad, inner 802.1q) on my Virtualization Host (dumping on the eth1 Interface directly without OVS involved).
OVS is divided into 3 Bridges (QinQ, HOME, TEST) and is configured to remove outer VLANS on passing traffic to HOME/TEST Bridges, which works correctly (i see expected traffic on the HOME/TEST Bridges tagged with the correct 802.1q inner vlans).

I can also add a VM/Namespace to the HOME Bridge and see responing ARP replys which are leaving my Host with the correct Tagging (outer 802.1ad, inner 802.1q), but the netonix switch doesn't learn any mac addresses on the T Port 6.

I assume the T config doesn't allow double tagged pakets on ingress!? So the pakets are dropped/rejected ( I see a constantly increasing drop rate on RX (RX Drops increasing).

Is there a way to configure the WS-6-MINI to allow double tagged pakets on T Port ingress? In my scenario it needs to be a T Port, as both L2 Environments should be sumarized on Port 6 with double tagged packets ingress (from OVS) and egress (to corresponding Q Ports).

If i should deliver some drawings or informations, no problem, just reply.

Thanks for any help & regards,
tim

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: QinQ WS-6-MINI

Sat May 18, 2019 10:22 am

The T option allow VLAN (ingress and egress) based on the outer TAG without checking if it's a S-VID or C-VID.

Exemple, if you configure a port with T on VLAN 125, all VLAN or QinQ where the outer most tag is 125 will flow through the port. So yes, T allow simple and double tag.

A schema would help.

weiti

Re: QinQ WS-6-MINI

Sat May 18, 2019 1:09 pm

HI mike99,

thanks for the reply. Yes, that was my thought before i build the test environment. I draw a diagram to hopefully explain it better.
I see the correct pakets on the Linux Host/OVS Switches but the direction back seems to have some issues.

Regards,
tim

Return to General Discussion