AP-5AC-90-HD Fake or New UBNT product?

Ubiquiti Networks® is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
Mikea
Associate
Associate

AP-5AC-90-HD Fake or New UBNT product?

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Since UBNT killed the topic on ubnt forum a user posted this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UBIQUITI-NE ... 4d35d6cce6

Food for thoughts..

P.S. from photos either it is a fake or an early pre production item (philips screws!, not changeable radio cables, poor packaging)
Mike A - www.iwisp.gr

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: AP-5AC-90-HD Fake or New UBNT product?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:13 pm

wow, what a beast lol. kinda looks like a legit pre-production unit, but then some of the finishing touches are a little wonky. The ubiquiti logo looks like it was stenciled on by 3 different stencils aka knockoff method.

Mikea
Associate
Associate

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:24 pm

You can see a similar item - antenna in an official Datasheet of UBNTs Rocket ac here http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/RocketAC/Rocket5ac_DS.pdf
Mike A - www.iwisp.gr

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:06 pm

Well this is my theory. I think this is a real product.

I think that the only way UBNT will get the AC Rocket approved for UNII-II is at a greatly reduced Tx power.

If you do not drive the chip (radio) to hard it does not bleed nearly as bad into adjacent channels.

This antenna is a high gain, maybe each 30 deg sub-sector is as high as 27-30 dB, therefore you would not have to turn the Rocket AC Tx power up very much to achieve the 30 dB EIRP limit. Maybe what 0-3 dB Radiator Tx Power which would allow it's bleed into the adjacent channels to be within the new FCC regs?

Now the only problem is the client radio also needs a large gain antenna which the new antenna integrated AC radios do have, well most of them anyway.

The idea that UBNT would want 12 sectors to cover 360 degrees is a LOT of radios.

Now if you wanted to do this with UNII-III you would be hard pressed to use 10 MHz wide channels and then you would have to have some channel re-use going on.

If you wanted to use DFS and or a mixture then you're fine.

I believe people claim that 10 MHz AC gear will produce 50+ Mbps on a good day.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:15 pm

Mikea, I don't see that antenna in the data sheet you link

Chris, I think you're dead-on. Ubiquiti has relied on very noisy radios for a long time and their AC gear follows the trend.

At -55 in 10Mhz, the AC gear can do right at 50Mbps, I have a couple of NBE-AC-19 PTP links doing this. They are pretty noise tolerant at -55 as well, much better than M gear. (this changes drastically at -65)

There is a new platform ubiquiti has hinted at in it's recent firmware releases. I suspect it is the AC gear w/ "airprism" for tx and rx. I read on some like through brother's wisp that the FCC's OOBE rules aren't just out of ISM, but out of your intentional emissions as well. It's hard to glean that info from the FCC release notes for me so I'm not sure what reality is, but that really means that even something at 5800 will have to dial back which is contrary to some other claims that say that it's just out of ISM bands that are an issue.

Regardless, bandpass filtering or extremely clean radio output is the only way we are getting full output power in most of the available bands.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:10 pm

Their calling this tri-sector airPRISM is confusing. My understanding is that airPRISM is an active filter that relies on electronics, not a dumb passive bandpass filter that can be built into an antenna.

So it is like the airMAX moniker that got used to label the hardware and also gets used to label the TDMA protocol? Using airMAX in the antenna names have nothing to do with the airMAX protocol. They work with other dual-chain radios. Ubiquiti keeps doing this branding confusion over and over. It is like naming their base model the same as the platform, like UAP, UAP pro, UAP AC. Also their cams... UVC, UVC Pro, UVC Dome, etc.

Someone in their marketing department must have a sadistic streak.

/rant off

ISW-Mike

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:47 pm

I think they refer to this as AirPrisim because it will be nearly useless with anything that doesn't contain it.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:49 pm

...as is most all their other stuff w/ the new beta lol. 5.6.3b now has the new OOBE limits in place....ouch. Someone needs to get on getting some 2 way filtering...

Ant

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Looks like it is real. Streakwave is now showing it for pre-order.

https://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp ... 90-HD&o1=0

mike99
Associate
Associate

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:29 am

But not airprism at all, it's 3X30 degrees sectors on a signle antenna with 3 radios. For beam steering, Cambium annonced the Cambium ePMP 2000 at WISPAPALOOSA. It should be available Q1 of this year but no official informaiton about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMgwYudL_I0

Next
Return to airMAX™