Mimosa firmware 'speed increase'

MIMOSA™ is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
ISW-Mike

Mimosa firmware 'speed increase'

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Anyone else get the email stating there's a speed increase in their latest FW? I don't have any of their equipment so not sure what type of boost they're talking about......Oh, and damn did they drop the B5's price fast!

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: Mimosa firmware 'speed increase'

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:25 am

looks like hundreds of little fixes and improvements, and likely the biggest boost is small packets or at least that's the implication.

I think that the biggest news here is the new pricing. The b5c is now $499 list and the b5 is $699 list. In the right situation, the b5c will outperform an AF5X throughput wise, and it has some extremely good frequency resilience w/ dual link. I think the new price is really what puts the b5* back in the running vs AF5X.

Kingsley

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:05 pm

Tell me how the B5c can compete with latency and bandwidth on the same channel width? AF5X is in another league its NOT Wifi!

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:12 pm

Kingsley wrote:Tell me how the B5c can compete with latency and bandwidth on the same channel width? AF5X is in another league its NOT Wifi!

except this isn't an apples:apples world. The AF5X is a superior radio for sure, *but*, it's a single radio, with channel limitations, and it's TDMA so were not comparing against the 'real' AF5 latency wise it will be between 2 and 3 times worse. My AF5 is always sub 1ms, I have a number of AF5X and they are stable 2-3ms. The b5c is right there in the 2-3ms range. The b5c is a bit less stable latency wise from what i've gleened from people I know, but still very good with 5-6ms peaks. b5c is also dual radio, can split tx/rx out to be full duplex or ratio'd duplex, and can failover between those two channels if need be.

In the right environment, the b5c can more than double the AF5X's throughput with a pretty tolerable increase in latency.

so 'in another league' isn't really a fair or accurate statement. Yeah, AF5X has a better radio, but these are more than radios and the B5* certainly packs a features punch to compensate.

I'd also point out that mimosa is use an ultra-premium wifi chip with highly customized opcode. They aren't yanking a wifi router apart and strapping some TDMA code on it.

WirelessRudy

Tue May 16, 2017 5:46 am

My AF5 is always sub 1ms, I have a number of AF5X and they are stable 2-3ms.
Either your AF5 and AF5X are not the same unit or you're contradicting yourself. Anyway to me it makes little sense.

In the right environment, the b5c can more than double the AF5X's throughput with a pretty tolerable increase in latency.
Although I am not a UBNT fan, more Mimosa, we seem to get better results is stability with the AF5X's then the B5c's we have. Links have similar distances and due the use of certain antennas similar signal strengths. But where the AF5X's always have very low (0-1ms) latency, the B5c's are more in the 3-6ms range....

Since each of the links are parts in further routes into our network these latencies add up.....

Return to MIMOSA™