AC-Powered WISP Switch w/ BATTERY BACKUP CHARGING

Help us decide what to build next.
wispwest

AC-Powered WISP Switch w/ BATTERY BACKUP CHARGING

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, and I've been talking to Chris about it. This would be the PERFECT, dream-WISP switch. What else could you possibly need??

Throw out he APC battery backups, DC power controller/charger, get rid of it all!!

Simply hook up your Netonix WISP Switch, plug it into 110VAC power outlet, wire as many 12V AGM/GEL batteries to it as you want, hook up your radio units, and your set!!

Power goes out, automatically switches to battery power. You can login and check battery voltages, current draw, etc., and possibly shut things down as the voltages gets low.

PERFECT ADDITIONAL FEATURE:

Ability to enter in VAH capacity of your batteries, and since the switch ALREADY knows how much current draw your radios are pulling, it can then calculate "approximate" runtime remaining on your batteries before it shuts down!! Just like the Xantrex power monitors, where you enter in the capacity of your batteries, and it syncs everything up once they are fully charged, so when battery power is on, it can show you from 0-100% capacity remaining. Hell even just having a % of battery remaining would be good enough, if the "time remaining" feature is too much to do.

:hurray:

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: AC-Powered WISP Switch w/ BATTERY BACKUP CHARGING

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Sounds like you want what the Digital Loggers does except not as midspan.

http://www.digital-loggers.com/poe24.html

rkelly1
Experienced Member

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:19 pm

I like the idea but I also like to have the charger inverter to plug other stuff into, like the router...

twinkie76y

Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Next product: DC WISP Router? Most of our solar site routers are DC power anyway. Just run them right off of the batteries.

You would still need a charger.

A AC/DC switch makes a lot of sense since it would act as a alarm, AND no annoying POE adapters for every device to connect to the batteries. Even more importantly it allows different voltages without step down/up transformers behind devices.

WirelessRudy

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:23 am

lligetfa wrote:Sounds like you want what the Digital Loggers does except not as midspan.

http://www.digital-loggers.com/poe24.html
Indeed, but more suppliers make better price/quality range. I hate to have 100.000 different branches in my network. I have some Netonix switches running now but am looking to improve some of my towers. If I can stick with Netonix all the better....

WirelessRudy

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:32 am

wispwest wrote:Not sure if this has already been mentioned, and I've been talking to Chris about it. This would be the PERFECT, dream-WISP switch. What else could you possibly need??

Throw out he APC battery backups, DC power controller/charger, get rid of it all!!

Simply hook up your Netonix WISP Switch, plug it into 110VAC power outlet, wire as many 12V AGM/GEL batteries to it as you want, hook up your radio units, and your set!!

Power goes out, automatically switches to battery power. You can login and check battery voltages, current draw, etc., and possibly shut things down as the voltages gets low.

PERFECT ADDITIONAL FEATURE:

Ability to enter in VAH capacity of your batteries, and since the switch ALREADY knows how much current draw your radios are pulling, it can then calculate "approximate" runtime remaining on your batteries before it shuts down!! Just like the Xantrex power monitors, where you enter in the capacity of your batteries, and it syncs everything up once they are fully charged, so when battery power is on, it can show you from 0-100% capacity remaining. Hell even just having a % of battery remaining would be good enough, if the "time remaining" feature is too much to do.

:hurray:
100% agree. One extra add-on, a solar panel power input to charge the batteries (so it needs a tracker) and preference given to solar power over grid over battery.

Sometimes we have small towers that are grid connected and batteries for fail over. If we could just add some panels (without the need of the extra solar charger) we have the ultimate unit.
Its a sort of combination with this unit; http://tyconpower.com/products/files/TP ... _sheet.pdf

The bonus is we can 'sell' our tower as 'green' and reduce our elec bill. Only plusses! :hurray:

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:45 am

I was not suggesting it would be the same, only was comparing the battery charger component of the DL. The DL is only a midspan injector so it still needs a switch.

I could see the benefit of having an all-in-one for some small sites, but I'm not sure of the market size for such a product. The way it is now, solar operators get to choose the battery bank, can combine solar and wind, and pick the charge controller that is a best fit.

Where I see a good fit is on mini-POPs or a high site relay.

wispwest

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:58 pm

rkelly1 wrote:I like the idea but I also like to have the charger inverter to plug other stuff into, like the router...

Can't Netonix power anything POE 24/48V? We use Mikrotik RB1100's at our major sites, but even if not, just use a POE router, then you can also be in control of rebooting it.

Only thing I'm concerned about is powering my Microwave Backhauls, which require 48 to 50V, but I think if it can power AirFiber24, it can power these. 1.5A @ 48VDC

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:25 am

I prefer a discreet device for power. Our biggest losses on remote sites is the power systems. Not that this is a big problem, but charge controllers can be a little flakey, especially if you put a dirty charge on them like a wind turbine. We've since dumped all wind power and just started over-building solar and batteries. Lost too many turbines to high winds and failed rotor brakes.

ste

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:36 am

wispwest wrote:
rkelly1 wrote:I like the idea but I also like to have the charger inverter to plug other stuff into, like the router...

Can't Netonix power anything POE 24/48V? We use Mikrotik RB1100's at our major sites, but even if not, just use a POE router, then you can also be in control of rebooting it.

Only thing I'm concerned about is powering my Microwave Backhauls, which require 48 to 50V, but I think if it can power AirFiber24, it can power these. 1.5A @ 48VDC

We've started powering the site router at smaller sites with Netonix. RB850Gx2 is fast enough for most jobs. So there is only a single Power-Input to WS-12-250-AC and all other stuff is powered by the switch. We've learned that power sources are the main reason for outages. Reducing these reduces the amount of events in our network.

So having a plug and play UPS with the netonix switch would be great and reduce complexity further. At main sites we use APC-X Series with managment card.

Next
Return to What should we build next