Batteries

talleytech

Batteries

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:52 pm

I am having issues with my batteries. I am running the WS-26-500-DC with it directly connected to 4 optimus bluetop batteries and the 4 bank minnkota 440pc. I just replaced the 4 batteries last week with 4 new. I have tested the volts and it is showing 48-50v going up to the switch and 12-14 volts going to each battery. The switch is in it's own box on top of the water tower. I have also had the same issue with the 3 battery setup using the minnkota 330. Today I had issue where I was only getting 14.5 volts to the switch. I found that one of the batteries had reversed power and was very hot to touch. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. The boxes are both outside. I was told the batteries are getting too hot but was 60 degrees outside and it's been pretty cool outside. I have had this happen several times over the last month at different locations. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I am currently running the WS-26-500 on 3 batteries and running to pickup a new battery. I was also told to use a rectifier instead of the smart chargers. If that is a better solution what would you recommend for this.
Thank you,
Jason

Omniflux
Experienced Member

Re: Batteries

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:10 pm

talleytech wrote:I found that one of the batteries had reversed power and was very hot to touch.

Can you please clarify this?

Can you add a photo or wiring diagram?

Was the charger showing an error state on any bank?

talleytech

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 pm

I can't figure out how to add a photo. It's now a 36 volt with 3 batteries. I have 36 volts on the wires going up the tower so I am sure they are wired correctly. I did replace the Minn Kota 440 and went with the 330 because I couldn't find a 440. I also replaced 2 more of the batteries. Is it possible that the Minn kota cannot keep up with the amps required for the ws-26-500? Causing the Minn kota to over charge the batteries? I do have an error message on the new Minn Kota and New battery. It says check connection. It's the middle battery on the 36 volt setup. I couldn't find anything wrong with the connection and all the voltage checks out. Not sure that it's charging though? What do you guys run for dc power. I really like this setup but I can't afford to replace batteries every week and my customers are going to start hating me soon. I really appreciate your help on this. Thank you.
Jason

Dave
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:49 pm

to add a picture....below the submit button is "upload attachment"

Omniflux
Experienced Member

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 pm

I have had issues with the Minnkota units dropping a battery into an error state. When this happens, that battery drains while the others stay charged.

I have not been able to determine why this happens, I suspect it is due to the load causing the charger to calculate that the battery is taking too long to charge and so aborting for safety. This probably means too much load for the output on the charger, but I'm not sure. I've seen it more often after running on batteries, which would fit with this theory due to increased draw to recharge the batteries.

talleytech

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:17 am

I think your right. This morning it was down again. The battery that was in error state as completely dead while the other 2 was fully charged. I replaced the battery with a fully charged one and the same issue. The odd issue was before I connected the cables going up I tried just connecting the charger to the fully charged battery with nothing else connected to it and still the same error state. I am taking a single bank up to try it. I'll let you know but this is a new charger.

talleytech

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:32 am

Here is a pic. I had issues with the size. Hopefully you can see what you need to see.
Thank you
Attachments
20200616_183141.jpg

djboxny

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 pm

#1 - are the bateries 12 volts and it looks likeyou have themin series to create a 36V system
#2 - how are you charging them, whare are the specs of the charger (volts and amps)
#3 - since you remove a battery are you using a differenty charger now?
#4 - thoose wires seem very thin what is the guage?

talleytech

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:48 am

The Charger is Minn Kota 330. 30 amp, 10 amp per bank. Yes you are correct 36 volts now. Optimus 55 amp hour. I was doing 48 but couldn't get a new Minn Kota 440. II think the issue is the heat. I noticed that during the day the voltage drops. The cabinet has a fan but it still gets pretty warm. I am going to put the new 440 on the outside of the cabinet and see if that helps. The jumper wires are solid 12 gage. The ones going to the switch is stranded 12 gage. The cables are not getting hot but I can make some newer jumpers if you think that would help. Thanks for the help. FYI I did mount the Maintainer on the outside at another location and that does seem to help.

bpnz

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:07 am

Hi Jason,

How come you're running through batteries? I'm guessing to act as a bufferif there's a power cut? It does seem odd the number of issues you are having.

Is the site only electrically powered? (no solar or wind or anything)

I'm wondering if the charger may be boiling the batteries?

Does the charger throw up any errors?

What is the load in the switch in watts?

Have you tried logging the voltage the switch sees? (via SNMP) to see if there's any spikes...

Also, it doesn't hurt to calibrate the voltage the switch sees vs what is coming out of the battery, so you know they're accurate.

I've switched most of my sites to Lead Carbon batteries by Narada and have had an extremely good run with them, however they're all solar powered with a huge amount of monitoring (amps in / out for SOC etc).

Next
Return to General Discussion