If you value your sanity...do NOT buy Netonix

krakrenterprises

If you value your sanity...do NOT buy Netonix

Mon May 04, 2020 2:38 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RUy6Uo ... sp=sharing

We began switching over to Netonix switches about a year ago in the hopes of having a good quality switch at all of our sites, along with a simple to build out power supply/battery/UPS.

Our experience since then has been an absolute nightmare. We now have over 15 fried radios and 3 different failed switches. In each case we woke up to see that 1/4 to 1/2 of the ports on the Netonix had failed, resulting in 50v being applied to ALL of them. Needless to say, this has cost us immensely in manpower, radios, and switches.

These were on 2 different tower sites, all grounded with #6 top to bottom, shielded cable, and surge protectors on 2/3.

- We have sent RMA requests, with no response in over 3 weeks.
- ZERO help via the forums. They give every customer a generic "You have a bad ground", "don't use surge protectors" ...etc.

If this was my first rodeo, I might have actually have believed them. However, we have been doing this for 20+ years. All of the sites in question had been running Edgeswitches or Straight POE adapters for YEARS before we changed to the Netonix switches.

I must caution everyone looking to begin using these or changing their network.... DO NOT. This company is by far the worse I have ever dealt with, and I cannot believe how they are still in business with the service and support they offer. We have many other sites with identical grounding using Edgepower/Edgepoints with ZERO problems over a 5 year period, and I would recommend this instead.

Do not buy a single one of these.....RUN...do not walk....To a different brand!

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: If you value your sanity...do NOT buy Netonix

Tue May 05, 2020 3:49 pm

Taste and color, some like Mikrotik switch while I hate those.

Thanks for letting other Netonix user like us more supply. Since the're a problem with part provisioning for now, that will make more Netonix for us. :-)

Dawizman
Experienced Member

Fri May 08, 2020 2:17 pm

Agreed... Sorry to hear your implementation doesn't work with Netonix.

We have been using Netonix switches exclusively on our WISP network, and elsewhere since 2015. He have hundreds of switches deployed now, with minimal failures, most of which were either self-inflicted, or inflicted by nature. Maybe 2 or 3 were legitimate product issues, and RMA's were speedy on those.

krakrenterprises

Mon May 11, 2020 12:43 pm

We have installed 6 x 12-250-DC and 35 x 26-500-DC in a little over 6 months. To date, we have had 2 of the 12 port models and a single 26 port die. My issue is that when they fail, they take all of the radios with them by applying 50V to all ports.

Your experience with "speedy" RMA is obviously an anomaly. I have had no response in over 3 weeks, and by the looks of the over 100 posts on the forums of people BEGGING for an update on their RMA, I would say the trend is poor service.

I am going to assume we are getting no RMA response and attempt to replace the MOSFETS, and current sensors in-house.

We are also going to phase out our changeover to Netonix for a more robust setup going forward.

My post was to warn any other WISPs, that if you are looking at adding Netonix to your network, do it AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm

sorry about your bad experience....we did notice on a very few RMA's your exact failure. This occurs when unwanted AC current flows through the switch & causes damage to the mosfets which get stuck in the on instead state instead of the off state.

We made a hardware change to the products over a year ago, and this fixed the majority of this type of failure.

In our new product line coming out (I hope this month if we can ever get supply chain from China going again..been a nightmare since January with virus stuff) we have new ultra fast over current protection that should be even better at limiting any type of failures.

We have many, many thousands of switches on the market, and the vast majority of users do not have issues. We have WISP's with many hundreds of our switches in their network for years.

And yes, our RMA response has been poor lately, no excuses for that. We are coming out with an automated RMA portal this week to speed things up, and we are looking at how to try & gear up our production quicker later this year.

I am not trying to defend your hardware failures, but this really only occurs when unwanted AC current flows through the switch. I would be curious to know the manufacturing date of your switches that failed.

krakrenterprises

Mon May 11, 2020 4:57 pm

The 12-250-DC I have opened here was a REV-J board, and the other was from the same order.

What parts should I be replacing on the board? Also when I am complete, is there something I can snip to disable the ability of 48v on Ports 6-12 to avoid this type of failure?

Pictures here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_PUILB ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yYrCK6 ... sp=sharing

Dave
Employee
Employee

Mon May 11, 2020 8:38 pm

not easy to repair or tell you what to replace...better to send in for RMA....I will get yours worked on quickly...send me a PM with details & I will forward to our tech who still works on some days during the week during shutdown....

djboxny

Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 pm

i had nothing but great things to say about netonix, Until about August of 2019,, Something happend at the company and all customer service went to shyt, i had a RMA at their facility since October of last yearm, NO ONE answer the emails, NO ONE answers me about the status here either. It has been a horrible experience. I wish one fot he big players buy them out and fix the management issue with this company. MY RMA request was has been horrible before the pandemic. so please dont use it as a excuse.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:04 pm

Dave wrote:...

We made a hardware change to the products over a year ago, and this fixed the majority of this type of failure.

I am not trying to defend your hardware failures, but this really only occurs when unwanted AC current flows through the switch. I would be curious to know the manufacturing date of your switches that failed.

Dave, you say the "hardware change" was made over a year ago, so what is the board revision that would include it? Shouldn't you guys know that and clearly share it in the threads you have that deal with that fix?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2584#p18081

And what was the change, was it simply the connecting together of shield gnd & DC power gnd? The original timing of that "fix" thread seemed way before PCB REV J ... But I also have a J board (just like the user said he had in this thread) and it does NOT have that mod.

I get it, proper grounding is still critically important. But before others at Netonix (present company excluded) go suggesting it's all the user's fault, I feel it is even more critically important that Netonix clearly track and share when mods actually took place, because that should easily be within the realm of your company's control. :)

Return to General Discussion