Use for POE only?

GREG3f

Use for POE only?

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:58 pm

This may be a dumb question, but here it goes anyway...

I want to use a Netonix only for POE with remote management. Our APs and Backhauls are all connected and routed with Mikrotiks. I need a device that can do all the flavours of POE (i.e. 24/48 and VH) and that runs off a 12v battery so a 12 Port DC models sounds great, hower I can wrap my mind around how to use the switch for only powering my equipment without creating a bridge loop.

My thought is to have the APs connect to say port 1 of the Netonix and provide Power via the Netonix and have port 2 connect to the Mikrotik, and other APs would follow suit with say port 3&4 and 5&6 and then the Backhauls one in and one out on Port8&9 and another on 10&11.

Is this possible and if so, how would I go about setting it up?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Use for POE only?

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:33 pm

So basically you want to make it into a midspan. You could setup unique VLANs for each port pair.

As for powering it with 12v, I assume that to be nominal as most 12V batteries are about 13.8 and the charge controller could take that up to 15V easily. I only mention this because below 12V you lose power budget as follows:

- 250 Watt POE budget when input voltage above 12V
- 200 Watt POE budget when input voltage above 11V
- 150 Watt POE budget when input voltage below 10V

Charlie

Re: Use for POE only?

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:34 pm

You run a VLAN trunk to the mikrotik using a copper or SFP port.
Then you set up the ports in the netonix into the VLAN trunks you want. Eg. Ports 2-3-4 could be VLAN2 and 5-6-7 could be VLAN3.
Then in the mikrotik set up the VLANs on the SFP or copper port. Put your Ip addresses on to the VLAN and program them just like normal ports direct on the mikrotik.
The netonix can add the vlan tag for any incoming data through the ports, send it to the trunk, where inside the mikrotik it just appears on an interface. The reverse happens where the mikrotik sends it out the (trunk vlan) interface, and the netonix strips the tags and sends it out the port. Just like if the port was on the mikrotik itself.

You can stop ports on the netonix from seeing each other so you dont create any loops.

Think of it as a mikrotik router with a port expander unit plugged into it.

Return to General Discussion