Is "Option 82" Implemented In DHCP Snooping?

uberdome
Experienced Member

Is "Option 82" Implemented In DHCP Snooping?

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:22 am

[I can't find details about Option 82 searching because "82" is dropped and it only searches for "Option".]

Is Option 82 implemented yet?

If so, how is it enabled on specific ports? Is it just part of DHCP Snooping, or is it set elsewhere?

If not, what is the expected time frame?

Thank you, Chris

sakita
Experienced Member

Re: Is "Option 82" Implemented In DHCP Snooping?

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 pm

There is nothing in the 1.5.5 release notes...

Several people have asked for this feature. For example, back in 2017 this came up in the Firmware Road Map thread but that thread is very stale now (and it has come up from time-to-time more recently as well).

Internally one of our staff tested running a DHCP relay agent on the switch so it is doable.

Honestly, not having this feature is one of the few aggravations I have with these switches - because it means that on ports that we need to process DHCP requests they end up being relayed by a neighbor (e.g. distribution) switch which means we lose the ability to know exactlty where the requests are coming from.

The DHCP snooping in the current firmware works fine for blocking the DHCP servers that are built into certain products but we need a proper relay agent for cases where we need DCHP requests to work.
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:27 pm

I suppose I will try VLAN back to a MikroTik and run through a bridge with Option 82 enabled. It is a frustrating work-around, but should get the job done for now.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 pm

I am looking into this one. Things are a bit busy right now though because we're working very hard on getting the new product line ready.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:06 pm

I'm just checking in here as I'm preparing to re-configure another section of my network.

I have found that I can sometimes run separate VLANs per port back to my main MikroTik router. Then, I can run Option 82 there. It doesn't always work because some links insert Option 82 information before getting there... but it functions as a work-around for now. The area I'm about to reconfigure is one of the problem areas where having functional Option 82 would solve the configuration challenges.

Return to General Discussion