Netonix Manager / Control Software

slimey

Re: Netonix Manager / Control Software

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:37 am

Ah, that's better. It took a while for all the switches to report online again (I'd set the new "Count before offline" to 5 as I was getting quite a few drops reported for just a single poll. Does it count this many polls before reporting it up again, too?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:48 am

No it doesn't, the internal count for each switch is only incremented on a failure and set back to 0 upon a successful connection. Each update cycle is a little more than 10 seconds. Depending on how many switches you have, it might slow it down a bit.

rodrayner

Sat May 11, 2019 11:59 am

HI,
Just come across this post when looking for some way to manage our switches. We currently have several hundred WS6 switches deployed all around the UK and i'm looking for some kind of central management system to mainly monitor FW versions and any errors.

Is it possible to run this in the cloud and monitor switches in several networks ?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat May 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Yes you could run it on a hosted virtual server but warning if your switches accessible from the web MAKE SURE your running the latest code as we include security patches in releases, older version are vulnerable to the point the can gain access to write files through the web service (web UI) fill up the flash and cause the switch to crash.

I would also definitely use the Access Control List.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rodrayner

Mon May 13, 2019 6:51 am

Thanks @sirhc

I haven't installed the application yet as it will take some setting up for us in the cloud so one more question if i may.

Does the switch initiate the connection to the management app or the other way round, what i'm trying to get to is if there are specific firewall rules needed for port forwarding because if so some of our sites will have 30 - 40 switches and i dont want to set up ports for each one. Or does it work in a similar way to UBNT's airControl where you have a gateway device that the server communicates with and that then in turn connects to all other devices.

Re firmware, we tend to run one version behind the current unless there is a specif reason not to. There a lot of switches and in all honesty its a pain having to update them all ( last update took 6 days to complete every switch ) hence why i'm looking into this application. Access Control, totally agree and we woudl have no requirement for anything other than our IP at head office as thats where our help desk is located.

rodrayner

Mon May 20, 2019 9:13 am

bump...

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Mon May 20, 2019 11:26 am

rodrayner wrote:Thanks @sirhc

I haven't installed the application yet as it will take some setting up for us in the cloud so one more question if i may.

Does the switch initiate the connection to the management app or the other way round, what i'm trying to get to is if there are specific firewall rules needed for port forwarding because if so some of our sites will have 30 - 40 switches and i dont want to set up ports for each one. Or does it work in a similar way to UBNT's airControl where you have a gateway device that the server communicates with and that then in turn connects to all other devices.

Re firmware, we tend to run one version behind the current unless there is a specif reason not to. There a lot of switches and in all honesty its a pain having to update them all ( last update took 6 days to complete every switch ) hence why i'm looking into this application. Access Control, totally agree and we woudl have no requirement for anything other than our IP at head office as thats where our help desk is located.

The Netonix Manager initiates the connection to the switches.
It uses ssh to gain access initially and then http in order to gain specific information it needs to monitor them.

rodrayner

Tue May 21, 2019 8:12 am

So, not really got an answer. If i have a LAN with 30 - 40 switches does every switch on the same network need its own dedicated port forwarding rule to communicate with a cloud based manager?

mike99
Associate
Associate

Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

Seem pretty obvious. If connection is initiated from the server and your switchs are behind NAT, then you automatcly need a port forward by devices you want the manager to access. If IPv6 can be use, then no ports forward.

rodrayner

Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Or does it work in a similar way to UBNT's airControl where you have a gateway device that the server communicates with and that then in turn connects to all other devices.

Not obvious at all, hence my question above :headb:

But i guess i got my answer. Not suitable for a network with multiple switches when you want a cloud based manager.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion