WS-6-Mini as inline repeater

Technical discussions about our hardware electronics with our product engineer.
libertybb

WS-6-Mini as inline repeater

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi,

I am trying to use a WS-6-Mini as an inline repeater at the half-way point to a Ubiquiti AF-24 160m downstream from the POE source. We have physically already attempted this and a data signal is not reaching the AF-24, yet both the WS-6-Mini and AF-24 are receiving power and the WS-6-Mini is receiving a data link. We used a cable tester on the cat5e link from the WS-6-Mini to AF-24 and it passed perfectly.

Here's a quick physical break down:

Netonix 80W 54v POE -> 73m Cat5e -> WS-6-Mini -> 84m Cat5e -> AF-24

This whole link is brand new connectors, wires and equipment.

Thanks!

libertybb

Re: WS-6-Mini as inline repeater

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Here are two images to illustrate what I am talking about:

With WS-6-Mini (Port1 54v-80w PoE in 73m) (Port2 48VH 1.5A out 84m)

[Large Image 1]

Everything identical, with WS-6-Mini replaced with TPE-E100:

[Large Image 2]

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:48 pm

You need to do some diagnostics

1 would Turn POE OFF on Port 2 of MINI and see if my laptop gets a link in place of AF24.

If laptop does not get a link then its possible port 2 in MINI is damaged?

There is also a cable diagnostics on the MINI by clicking the little gear far right of Port row.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:07 pm

libertybb wrote:Hi,

We used a cable tester on the cat5e link from the WS-6-Mini to AF-24 and it passed perfectly...

I have seen where an overcrimped cable will pass on a cable tester but fail in-situ.

The better cable testers have very high quality jacks to withstand the repeated insertions. You won't find the same quality on switches or the AF-24.

libertybb

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:05 pm

lligetfa wrote:I have seen where an overcrimped cable will pass on a cable tester but fail in-situ.

Why would the same cable ends work when replacing the WS-6-Mini with a TPE-E100 if that were the case?

sirhc wrote:1 would Turn POE OFF on Port 2 of MINI and see if my laptop gets a link in place of AF24. If laptop does not get a link then its possible port 2 in MINI is damaged?

We have tried using a laptop on the end with the PoE disable on Port 2. There is still no link. When replacing the WS-6-Mini with a TPE-E100 there is PoE and a link. We will be trying a completely different WS-6-Mini tomorrow.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:25 pm

libertybb wrote:
lligetfa wrote:I have seen where an overcrimped cable will pass on a cable tester but fail in-situ.

Why would the same cable ends work when replacing the WS-6-Mini with a TPE-E100 if that were the case?

I have also seen where an overcrimped cable will work on one device and not work on another due to differences in manufacturing tolerances.

Use the built-in cable test on the MINI to see if all 8 pins terminate properly.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:33 am

sirhc wrote:
If laptop does not get a link then its possible port 2 in MINI is damaged?

There is also a cable diagnostics on the MINI by clicking the little gear far right of Port row.

Since you say the laptop does not get a link then I would plug the laptop directly into port 2 with a short pre-made jumper (with POE OFF on port 2).

You can run cable diagnostics on port 2 with no cable and with a short jumper plugged into laptop.

You could use port 3 of MINI with no POE to test laptop in place of AF24.

This is not hard to narrow down what is going on.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Omniflux
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Could you have possibly removed port 2 from all vlans? I'm pretty sure this would match your symptoms.

I have an instance where I have WS6-Mini (DC Jack) -> 100m cat5e -> WS6-Mini (PoE) -> 100m cat5e -> WS6-Mini (PoE) -> ?m -> AP and have had no issues with it in the two - three years it has been in place.

libertybb

Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:59 pm

I just performed another test with a whole new WS-6-Mini, with the only configuration change being a firmware update and activating 48VAH 1.5A on Port 2. The AF-24 indeed receives power and connects to her sister dish. However, it does not receive a data link. I swapped the cable to Port 3 and connected my laptop to the other end and it does not receive a data link either. I replaced the WS-6-Mini with the TrendNet PoE extender and the AF-24 does receive a data link.

Here are the config panels on the WS-6-Mini when Port 2 is plugged into the AF-24:

Status

VLANs

Ports

Device -> Configuration

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:05 pm

Have you performed a cable test yet to determine if all pairs are in good working order?

I have a WS-24 powering a MINI with 48VH over 300 feet of CAT5e. I even have that MINI powering a second MINI further down the line. All works as advertised.

Next
Return to Dave's Lab