poe distance

tgwtfp

poe distance

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm

I'm trying to find out the recommended maximum distance I can power a mini 6 with a 8-150 dc.Can you get longer distance with a poe brick?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: poe distance

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Firstly, you are limited by the 100 meter cable limit imposed by the standard so PoE will not change that.

Secondly, you need to factor how many watts your MINI will see. Voltage drop is basic Ohm's Law.

Thirdly, it depends on whether you need 48V output from the MINI. It does not step up the 50V in. It does however still provide regulated 24V out.

If you were to feed it 54V via a 4-pair PoE brick, then you would see 4V more on the MINI than if you fed it 50V.

tgwtfp

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 am

I apologize for not being more specific. Here is what I'm trying to do: from an NVR poe power 300ft to a mini..4 cameras,poe power from mini 300ft to another mini then 3 more cameras.I have a mini in use at at another location with 4 cameras and it looks like it never exceeds 30 watts.This location is a semi industrial environment with 3-phase electrical service and trying to remote power devices is a nightmare...

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:22 pm

The amount of voltage drop will depend on the cable. Good quality all copper CAT6 23 AWG could buy you a couple of volts. You could start out with 56V knowing that there will be voltage drop after 300 feet. You did not say what voltage the cameras need. If they use 48V, then I suspect the voltage drop is going to be a problem. If however, they will work with 24V then you might stand a chance but then the logs might fill up with low voltage warnings. I think the warnings start at 37V.

Stroup

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:10 am

lligetfa wrote:The amount of voltage drop will depend on the cable. Good quality all copper CAT6 23 AWG could buy you a couple of volts. You could put on your insulated hunting boots and start out with 56V knowing that there will be voltage drop after 300 feet. You did not say what voltage the cameras need. If they use 48V, then I suspect the voltage drop is going to be a problem. If however, they will work with 24V then you might stand a chance but then the logs might fill up with low voltage warnings. I think the warnings start at 37V.

Are the warning more or less safe to ignore at 37V or should you take them seriously even at that voltage?
Last edited by Stroup on Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 am

Stroup wrote:Are the warning more or less safe to ignore at 37V or should you take them seriously even at that voltage?

If you are not powering any 48V devices you can ignore them.

The WS-6-MINI simply passes out whatever voltage it receives as the 48V POE option as it is supposed to get 48V-54V DC input so there is no conditioning of the input voltage it passes out.

I think if I remember right if the input voltage is less than 43V or 45V it will not allow you to select 48V POE option on the Ports TAB and I "thin" may turn the 48V POE options OFF if already ON?

THe unit is designed to receive 48V to 54V so it is behaving as intended in alerting you to 48V out of spec.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion