Power off a port based on upstream switch input voltage

gadavis

Power off a port based on upstream switch input voltage

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:23 pm

As part of a wildfire camera deployment, we are using Netonix at solar powered sites to power cameras as well as radios. The primary switch at each site, a WS-12-D50-DC, is connected directly to the battery bank. On one of the primary switch ports, we have a secondary WS-6-MINI powering 5 cameras.

Rather than powering down the entire secondary WS-6-MINI, we'd like to power off ports on the WS-6-MINI individually if the battery voltage goes low. In particular, we have a very power hungry PTZ camera that we'd like to power off first.

I don't see a way to tell the WS-6-MINI to treat the upstream switch as a battery voltage source, at least with the current 1.5.1rc8 firmware.

Could this feature be added?
If not, is there a scripting interface for the switches that would let me implement this myself?
Pirate4

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Power off a port based on upstream switch input voltage

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:39 pm

So you want the WS-12-250-DC switch to tell a secondary WS-6-MINI powered by the WS-12-250-DC to shut OFF and ON its ports based on the WS-12-250-DC input voltages?

Whereas that sounds neat and to be honest is something that could be done there is no way currently to do that and would require a good bit of development.

Right now we are stretched thin trying to get WS2 and WS3 switches to market.

Maybe bump this post every couple months.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

gadavis

Re: Power off a port based on upstream switch input voltage

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Correct, that's our goal. I can probably script something based on SNMP values, but it would be nice to have the code run on the switches themselves rather than back in the NOC.

To save me some furious googling, can you point me towards an example SSH or Curl/WGET command that can be used to toggle power on a port?

Return to General Discussion