Another VLAN scenario

Capm

Another VLAN scenario

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello,

I've picked up a couple of these WS-8-150-DC switches, and I'm tinkering with it on my bench here, and I've been through the other vlan threads, but can't seem to make things work like I want to.

What I'm trying to do is two things, have the switch itself on a MGMT vlan other than 1, so that I can see it in my existing mgmt network, and two, have untagged traffic be tagged in a trunk port.

On the 2nd Item,

Normally, in a cisco switch, I'll have the data and mgmt vlans assigned to a trunk port going to an AP, and that port I'll set the native vlan to the data vlan.

So it would look like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/2
description ***UBNT AP***
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 20
switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,30
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast trunk
!
That way the untagged CPE traffic passing through the AP is tagged by the switchport in vlan 20, while I can manage the AP and cpe radios in the other vlan, because the AP tags its mgmt traffic.

I've tried to set a port to Trunk with the vlan's allowed and vlan 20 to Q, and 30 to T, and untrunked in the same manner, but can't seem to get the traffic to work. The tagged mgmt traffic works fine.

The first item, I'm configuring the switch from port 6, and I leave port 6 at U, I tag the AP and link ports (ports 1 and 2). If I change the vlan from 1 to anything, I lose connection to the switch on port 6, and it doesn't come up in the mgmt vlan either ?? I've been tinkering with it all afternoon with no success. I did update to v1.5.0 also.

Thanks for any insight

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Another VLAN scenario

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:03 am

For management vlan, just change the VID of the VLAN at the top. If you want VID 30 to be management, change VID 1 for 30.

GigabitEthernet0/2

port 2, vlan 20 = U (untag)
port 2, vlan 30 = T (tagged)
Q option is for QinQ (802.1ad), not dotq(802.1q).

No need for trunk mode for so few VLAN. In netonix, trunk mode is normally use to allow all VLAN between 2 switchs or a switch and a router.

For trunk mode, bative vlan will be untag on all port with trunk check. When you check a port in trunk mode, the're a allow vlan list that appeir. Just add a vlan list or use default 0-4095 to allow all vlan. "-" is use as "up to" so 0-4095 is allowed VID 0 up to 4095. "," is use for "and" so "20,30" is allowed VLAN ID 20 and 30.

Capm

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for the reply,

When I change the managment vlan, the device does not come up in the management network. Nor can I access it directly on either a tagged or untagged port. I have to wait for it to revert the changes before I can access it again in the original vlan.

I have also tried the vlan 20 with both the U and T options with the port trunked and not trunked. Neither method will tag the untagged traffic coming into that port.

Capm

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:42 am

Okay, I found a work around for my data Vlan. I leave it in U on all ports, so that the traffic passed back through the link to the cisco switch before it, and gets tagged there.

I still cannot get the switch to come up in the managment vlan though.

Capm

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:09 am

Ah I figured it out, I was tinkering with the wrong port

Return to General Discussion