passing vlans through netonix switch

netevent

passing vlans through netonix switch

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 am

Hi,

I am trying to allow vlans tagged on either side of a netonix switch to pass through, but am having some problems...

Mikrotik vlan tag 4 ----------netonix switch------------Mikrotik vlan tag4

should be simple enough but I have tried numerous configs on the netonix without success so I thought I might reach out for help, thanks

netevent

Re: passing vlans through netonix switch

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 am

latest firmware 2x 12-250-AC 10x Netonix Mini6
tried the trunk ports option on the vlan page, do i need to do this below ? "
"
If you want to make our switch behave like a ToughSwitch you can easily setup the VLAN Tab to accept all packets both Tagged (all 4095 possible VLAN IDs) and Untagged packets and then simply rely on the layer 2 MAC to decide where to send the packets but then what is the point of using VLANs which is meant to segregate traffic and keep it separate. To do this make every port a Trunk port, leave all "U" on the default VLAN, then create a second VLAN (any ID) and put a "T" on all ports. Now you have a "clever" stupid switch what does not segregate VLAN traffic and replies solely on the layer 2 switching fabric to decide where to send packets. This will force the switch to accept ALL packets Tagged or Untagged on all ports"

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 am

There is a search box in the upper right corner, and an advanced search by clicking on the magnifying glass.

But here is the general idea: http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... inQ#p18225

Not so. Remember VLANs is an industry standard and behave the same on ALL switches if they follow the IEEE standard which we do.

http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... ged#p18225
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... ged#p14332
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... ged#p14079
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3044&p=20584&hilit=+VLAN+ingress#p20584
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2718&p=18847&hilit=+VLAN+ingress#p18847
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

netevent

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi, thanks I have read through most the forum posts regarding vlans and none of them are really helping me....

I do not wish to tag the switch port or untag the switch port and the allowed vlans checkbox at the top does not seem to allow the vlans to pass through the switch port...
I have tried the configs in various of your posts, ie the one you linked,

I can't seem to upload an image here so maybe you can upload an image with somoe clue ?

the ports are trunk ports, they have normal traffic over them as well as vlan traffic, the netonix is in the middle of the network and traffic goes across wireless backhuals etc...
I am currently doing it in isolation , please hellp me actually get the config right cause i am not finding it intuitive to achieve..

I have a single vlan I wish to allow to pass through the switch on all ports as its for voip, i still wish to have management vlan on all ports.

thanks

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 pm

netevent wrote:I can't seem to upload an image here so maybe you can upload an image with somoe clue ?

Read any of my posts footer/signature on how to upload images
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:43 am

Not intuitive ? Those are similar to HP / Ubnt and can behavior like cisco in trunk mode (allowed vlan list).
Just set "T" on port you want vlan to pass through. T = allowed vlan. Vlan must already be tagged by the connected device. In your case

Mikrotik vlan 4 - netonix T on vlan 4 port facing this mikrotik - netonix T on vlan 4 for part facing the other mikrotik - mikrotik vlan 4.

Else, just but every ports in trunk mode, leave default that allow all vlan, and every vlan will pass through like a none managed switch.

Return to General Discussion