WS-26-500-DC Powersupply Failures

intellipop

WS-26-500-DC Powersupply Failures

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:17 pm

I've had now two WS-26-500-DC power supply failures. The power supplies fail when the switch is operational, and after a reboot the power supply initially lights up, fans start then it shuts back down. Is there any plan for Netonix to replace these units proactively? Out of 12 switches I've had 2 fail to this new issue, not counting past failures due to a power supply bug.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-26-500-DC Powersupply Failures

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:09 pm

If the power supply failed we will repair it free via our RMA process.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

intellipop

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 am

Chris,

Our concern is our customers experience and under these switches we have had 5 outages that required us to go onsite and physically replacing the dead switches offering our customers 2+ hours of downtime for each event. With 5 switches failing my confidence level in the product is not good.

Can you or anyone at Netonix qualify as to WHY these supplies are preforming so poorly in the field, and how / what Netonix is doing to fix this issue on new switches and existing switches in the field? We can't simply just sit around and let these things continue to fail and maintain a customer base.

3 Switches failed due to a Firmware bug within a netonix software release

2 Switches failed due to an unknown reason, one of the power supplies has been sent in on RMA already the other is about to be sent for RMA today
Last edited by intellipop on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Mat,

You sent us a switch that you said was rebooting.

We tested in our LAB for days and never saw it reboot.

The only way we could cause a reboot like you reported with the unit you sent us was in the event of a network loop and resulting packet storm. We also fixed this in v1.5.0 FINAL

But we looked really hard at things trying to find a reason for your issue and we did find issue with our I2C cable management which we hypothesized "could" have caused an issue so we corrected that.

We kept digging and also found an issue in firmware which could under some conditions cause a possible issue so we corrected that as well.

At this point we have corrected everything and anything we have found that could possibly cause a reboot.

If you have a unit that fails RMA it.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

intellipop

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 pm

sirhc wrote:Mat, You sent us a switch that you said was rebooting. We tested in our LAB for days and never saw it reboot. The only way we could cause a reboot like you reported with the unit you sent us was in the event of a network loop and resulting packet storm. We also fixed this in v1.5.0 FINAL But we looked really hard at things trying to find a reason for your issue and we did find issue with our I2C cable management which we hypothesized "could" have caused an issue so we corrected that. We kept digging and also found an issue in firmware which could under some conditions cause a possible issue so we corrected that as well. At this point we have corrected everything and anything we have found that could possibly cause a reboot. If you have a unit that fails RMA it.

Chris,

You seem to be omitting some very important details in this case, and in fact what your speaking about was not even referenced in my initial notes of the post. That issue preceded the issue I'm attempting to get your attention on now. It seems the burden of proof of any Netonix related bugs lives on the shoulders of the customer and if Netonix can't them self's cause the issue we must be imagining it or doing something wrong. Simply just isn't the case here.

The issue I'm referencing is we have had 5 switch power supply FAILURES, switches simply don't boot. I have 2 on hand at this very moment that we are boxing up to send to you. The switch initially powers up, then shuts off. It never fully boots. I've had you send me 3 power supplies already , and I've got another 2 switches to RMA to you. One of these failures was a unit you shipped back to us. This issue, and your further response is not inspiring confidence in your company or your products.
Last edited by intellipop on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Then I am sorry Mat, we try our best, it seems nothing I say is going to make you happy.

intellipop

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Actually yes. If you can actually share some data for this issue and support us in understanding if you have identified an issue and have a fix. Were in the business of selling internet that's reliable, and right now Netonix is keeping us from honoring our commitments.

There are two simple questions you can answer.

1) Have you identified the issue that's so far in 3 months caused us 5 switch power supplies to fail requiring replacement from your company?

2) What can we do about our existing switches that haven't failed yet, are they expected to fail (is this a hardwar issue) or will a specific firmware version prevent them from having issues going forward?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:15 pm

If you have a unit that fails RMA it, if it is a failure we will repair it free and return it.

intellipop

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Chris,

You want to send all of your customers to the Forums for support, but when we come here you continue to ignore issues and pretend everything in fine with the products. I'm really sorry to see you couldn't manage to respond to two simple questions in this entire thread. I just spoke with Julian and got a bit more background on where Netonix currently is as a company. You really had great products, it's really a shame to see the quality of support take such a different direction as of lately.

Return to General Discussion