Netonix goes down with a "Discovery Device" Scan.

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Netonix goes down with a "Discovery Device" Scan.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm

I edited your post and changed the way your image was loaded, please follow the instructions in my post signature on how to upload images. Linking external images is not a good idea because then it is not permeniate to the forums if you ever delete it and it does not scale well on the screen.

Eric is away today and I plan to discuss this with him when he returns.

It is possible that the Discovery TAB will simply not function properly on large flat segments like this. The CPU in the switches that runs the UI/CLI and these Daemons (not packet forwarding which is handled in the core) is simply too small. Plus when you send out this broadcast looking for devices to discover on a LARGE segment like this can cause a storm of responses.

I asked Eric to put this feature in against his wishes as I thought it would be cool and since I run a routed network at my WISP the switch only sees devices located at that tower.

I also recently noticed the discovery is not working as before since the latest UBNT firmware upgrade so Eric will need to look at that as well.

For now if someone is having issues with Discovery TAB simply DISABLE the Discovery TAB on the Device/Config TAB and do not use it until we figure this out.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:03 pm

There does appear to be a BUG in the discovery TAB with the latest UBNT firmware so for now simply disable this TAB in the Device/Configuration TAB by unchecking the BOX next to Discovery TAB.

Also your layer 2 segment is VERY LARGE and even if we can fix this feature to work with UBNT's latest firmware it may not work with such a large segment.

Disabling this TAB / Feature does not diminish the switch's ability to to do its job. This feature was added a year ago at the request of a user and it is a neat tool for some people but right now it appears broken?

We are working on it.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:19 pm

This will be fixed in the next release.

WisTech
Associate
Associate

Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:59 pm

I've heard of others having issues with Netonix switches going down when running a discovery from within an Edgerouter, or a radio running 6.1.x for example. I could see an issue within the switch running discovery over a very large flat network, but not within a radio or router. I myself have not seen this, but our broadcast segments are fairly small also.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:01 pm

WisTech wrote:I've heard of others having issues with Netonix switches going down when running a discovery from within an Edgerouter, or a radio running 6.1.x for example. I could see an issue within the switch running discovery over a very large flat network, but not within a radio or router. I myself have not seen this, but our broadcast segments are fairly small also.

We have discovered an issue with our Discovery TAB with UBNT newer firmware.

Eric has fixed the Discovery TAB and will release v1.4.9 later this week

Will have him also make sure that UBNT devices running a discovery do not cause issue with out switches with UBNT Discovery protocol enabled.

Keep in mind you can disable both the UBNT Discovery protocol and The Discovery TAB on the Device/Configuration TAB

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Please try v1.4.9 which is now released

oxigeno2020

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:30 am

Thank you very much!!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:43 am

oxigeno2020 wrote:Thank you very much!!

Don't thank me until you know it works, please report back.

mgfco

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:49 am

I upgrade all my NETONIX SWITCHES to 1.4.9 and it works ubiquiti discovery
no more reboots

WELL DONE !!!

netonix guys

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues