10G uplinks

Help us decide what to build next.
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: 10G uplinks

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:39 pm

Brough wrote:I'm extremely interested in one or better two SFP+ ports. Increasingly, we're using 2-5 Gbps radios (70/80 GHz) on backbone routes (rings) dropping off Gbps connections at intermediate buildings. So we need at least two SFP+ ports.

How do I get on the beta?

We are working on the SFP+ models - All below models have (2) SFP+ port

WS2-14-XXX-AC
WS2-14-XXX-DC
WS2-14-DC

WS2-26-XXX-AC
WS2-26-XXX-DC
WS2-26-XXX-IDC

All the above models also have:
Door open sensor
External temp/humidity sensors
External Fan control

Will not be available until Q1 or early Q2 of 2018

Question:
Are you interested in 2.5G SFP ports or do you want 10G SFP ports
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 pm

I think he would like SFP+ uplink port and 2.5 Gbps copper PoE ports for AP.

Several AP will soon be able to break the gigabit barrier. Their already some >60 Ghz radios, possibly Cambium 450m once the 40 mhz is availaible, possibly LTU, etc. Other will probably do over with MU-MIMO. Google is also working and wireless broadband for rural area.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 am

mike99 wrote:I think he would like SFP+ uplink port and 2.5 Gbps copper PoE ports for AP.

Several AP will soon be able to break the gigabit barrier. Their already some >60 Ghz radios, possibly Cambium 450m once the 40 mhz is available, possibly LTU, etc. Other will probably do over with MU-MIMO. Google is also working and wireless broadband for rural area.

We are considering having 2.5G or 10G copper ports just adds $$$
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:16 pm

AP with transfert over gigabit are not cheap. Why the switch to power and feed them should be cheap ?

Brough

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:36 am

I actually prefer copper over fiber when distances and speeds allow, as all our guys can handle copper. And, for the next 18-24 months, 2.5 Gbps or 5 Gbps Ethernet will suffice.
If we have SFP+ sockets, we can get 2.5/5.0 Gbps copper Ethernet SFP+ modules from several sources. The most recent (announced but no yet in hand) is from MikroTik: https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10 But, 2.5 Gbps or 5 Gbps copper Ethernet with PoE would be the best solutions for our radios.

We're typically going building to building in a loop. Each building has two high capacity radios, a bunch of lower capacity radios and a high capacity feed to a router. So far we've been doing a lot of bonding (two or three 1 Gbps ports) but that uses up ports fairly rapidly. Long term I'd like 3 or 4 ports that can do > 1 Gbps and bunch of 1 Gbps PoE ports. The > 1 Gbps ports could be SFP+ or >1Gbps copper Ethernet. The copper Ethernet approach is preferable if it includes PoE to power radios.

So net-net my dream configuration would be 2 SFP+ ports, 2 high capacity (2.5/5/10 Gbps) copper Ethernet ports with PoE, and a bunch (10 or more) 1 Gbps copper Ethernet with PoE. 250 watts would be fine.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:02 am

Please list any radios that use > 1G Ethernet POE ports?

Brough

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:41 pm

IgniteNet has a radio that's shipping that includes 2.5 Gbps copper Ethernet with PoE:
https://www.ignitenet.com/products/metrolinq-2-5-ptp/

Others are discussions with no clear shipping date, at least that I am aware of.

Brough

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Just to be clear, there are two places we could use Netonix switches with > 1 Gbps connections, either SFP or 2.5 Gbps copper Ethernet. Attached below is a drawing of the equipment we use to provide 500/500 Mbps service to an 18-story urban condominium today. My goal is to provide 1/1 Gbps services in future buildings and to upgrade buildings that have been wired for 500/500 Mbps.

As implemented today, >1Gbps radios are handled by bonding and, in this case, the three links to the router are adequate given one of the two AF24 radios is a backup for the Siklu. But as we deploy more 2 and 3 Gbps radios, we'll need more capacity from the PoE switch towards the radios and towards the router. In the short term, this can include more bonded 1 Gbps paths, but obviously we want >1 Gbps going forward.

The second place we need more than 1 Gbps is down-stream, i.e. towards the switches which serve customers. Today these are MikroTik CRS125 switches with 1 Gbps uplinks, powered as you can see via PoE from a Netonix switch. To provide 1/1 Gbps we will use MikroTik CRS326 switches instead of CRS125 switches. But now we need more than 1 Gbps to each customer switch. We typically run two Cat6 cables to each floor (in case one gets damaged) so I could use one to provide power and the other to provide 2.5 Gbps over Cat6 using 2.5 Gbps copper SFP+ modules like these: https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10 and a non-PoE switch with multiple SFP+ modules. Perhaps the CRS317. Not great!

Alternately, if I had a Netonix switch that provided PoE over 2.5 Gbps copper Ethernet, I could run 2.5 Gbps over a single Cat6 cable and use an inverse PoE injector to pull out power at the CRS326 end to feed the DC power jack on the back of the CRS326. Longer term I would hope MikroTik or others offer a switch with PoE input on a >1 Gbps copper Ethernet interface.

I'd also welcome other suggested approaches, but I want to maintain at least 1 Gbps of head room above the peak of the actual traffic on any path so I can deliver true 1/1 Gbps at all times of day or night.

Capture.PNG
Typical service for urban apartment building

Townsendkey

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 am

Brough wrote:I'm extremely interested in one or better two SFP+ ports. Increasingly, we're using 2-5 Gbps radios (70/80 GHz) on backbone routes (rings) dropping off Gbps connections at intermediate buildings. So we need at least two SFP+ ports.

How do I get on the beta?

There are various types of 10G switches with at least two SFP+ ports, and the price is also very nice, like Ubiquiti ES-48-Lite (2 SFP+), D-Link DGS-1510-28X (4 SFP+), FS S3800-48T4S (4 SFP+), etc.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:38 am

Townsendkey wrote:There are various types of 10G switches with at least two SFP+ ports, and the price is also very nice, like Ubiquiti ES-48-Lite (2 SFP+), D-Link DGS-1510-28X (4 SFP+), FS S3800-48T4S (4 SFP+), etc.

And which of those switch support high voltage to power backhaul link ?

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next