Cambium ePMP power

mwamono

Re: Cambium ePMP power

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 am

Hello Netonix team,

What is the best way to power ePMP device cabled at abut 140 meters length ? Tried with WS-08-150-DC model but did not work ePMP device did not power up.
Same model device could be powered by 3 feet patch cable with no issue.
The same device is powered successfully using a cisco 2960S switch . I am using industrial-grade, Category 5e TOUGHCable.

Thanks.
Attachments
Spec_ePMP_1000_GPS_Sync_Radio_June2015.pdf
Specs for Radio I am powering
(79.4 KiB) Downloaded 432 times

Julian

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 pm

mwamono wrote:Hello Netonix team,

What is the best way to power ePMP device cabled at abut 140 meters length ? Tried with WS-08-150-DC model but did not work ePMP device did not power up.
Same model device could be powered by 3 feet patch cable with no issue.
The same device is powered successfully using a cisco 2960S switch . I am using industrial-grade, Category 5e TOUGHCable.

Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1215&start=70#p18876 is what we know about which radios work with which power schemes. I've provided a link to the post I made which condenses it all down, but you should be able to backtrack and view the anecdote which I did, and you may even have some luck by PMing the original author if something is unclear.

As far as I know, the ePMP 1000 with GPS requires certain pins on one or the other side of the cable to be swapped, but I don't remember offhand which. We provide the pinout for what comes out of the switch, so you should be able to align polarities and voltages from there.

also, the cable length may be an issue for you, you may need to use a mid-span injector to bring the voltage back up to where it needs to be.
Last edited by Julian on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ripv

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Isn't 100 meters the standard maximum length for an Ethernet cable?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:34 pm

ripv wrote:Isn't 100 meters the standard maximum length for an Ethernet cable?

Yes 100 meters or 326 feet

Bad cable?
Noise on cable?
Ground current on cable if both ends are not using the same Earth grounds?
Bad ends?
Bad port?

There are many things to investigate.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

cwachs
Experienced Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Julian wrote:As far as I know, the ePMP 1000 with GPS requires certain pins on one or the other side of the cable to be swapped, but I don't remember offhand which. We provide the pinout for what comes out of the switch, so you should be able to align polarities and voltages from there

The ePMP GPS models (1000 and 2000) do NOT need any cable changes to power them. Both models will power quite happily at 48v with a normal straight through cable. The Force 200 and Force 180 models power on a normal Ethernet cable at 24v.

The only ePMP radio still in production that requires pin swapping is the NON-GPS 1000. This is a 24v radio that can not be powered on a straight through cable.

I think you are seeing a length problem, not a switch problem. Run fiber up the tower and put a DC powered switch at the top where your radios are.

jagman2020

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:45 am

I have a ePMP 1000 GPS unit and on 24 Volts it powers up but talks to me about 1/4 of the time.. ie ping response..
If I try it on 48 Volts i get very random results..

Not sure what to try or test now. I need to get this radio back up and running.. Please help me.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:22 am

Have you done a cable check ? Is the're a rate miss match like full duplex on one side and half duplex on the other ? Else, you should probably begin to test for hardware failure.

48V work fine with ePMP 1000 GPS version and would be recommended.

Previous
Return to General Discussion