Can Customer AP become AnyFi enabled ?

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Can Customer AP become AnyFi enabled ?

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:31 am

Hi!

I'm looking at implementing the AnyFi (http://anyfi.net/) system in my network and on customers routers. I will like to know if I can get a firmware for the Netonix Customer AP that has AnyFi support ?
If yes I will look into selling the Customer AP to my customers.

Thanks....

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Can Customer AP become AnyFi enabled ?

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:14 am

That is a contentious concept that has landed several ISPs in court. I personally would not touch it. If my ISP were to use my internet service as a hotspot, I would protest first and then cancel my service.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:10 pm

@lligetfa

You clearly have not understood the concept. It has nothing to do with public hotspot.
This is for my customers only sharing WiFi. And everything is tunnelled with WPA2 security, same protocol used to protect your WiFi....

You should take a better look at their website :-)

Compared to the public WiFi hotspot model, this approach is a service for my customers. If they're neighbors they can visit each other and still have WiFi access without touching their device....

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:11 pm

And of course this a service we would like to provide to our customers. They must opt-in (not out)....

josh
Associate
Associate

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:21 pm

I was going to moan and groan before I looked at what this is, but after watching the video I *highly* think this is something Netonix should pick up on.

Chris, I'd take a look at this and see how easy it would be to integrate. This could be a very big selling point for your routers.

We have a bunch of hotspots in the wild, and if this is a feature we could offer our customers as they roam through town, we would be all over advertising and selling this feature.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 pm

We can visit this when we get a little closer to release
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:15 am

it is an interesting concept. Are there many anyfi hotspots around though? The device list for carrierwrt is pretty short. Do you see ubiquiti, meraki, aruba, etc supporting this feature in access points?

Rory

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:07 pm

It looks like they only support the ar71xx soc and its derivatives / compatibles. At this point I don't believe we have any planned devices based on those platforms, but that doesn't rule this out. Quite frankly, I would assume most of their code could be modularized and installed as a package on top of tomato or openwrt, which would excite me more.

Just for kicks, look in the untested directory off their downloads directory. There is all sorts of stuff in there, ubnt gear as well.

But as Chris said, we are still a bit away from any sort of product that would benefit from this type of setup. We will definately keep it in mind though as it does look like a neat concept.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:47 pm

You should get in touch with the 2 guyz behind, Björn and Johan.....

They will love to partner with you I'm quite sure of....

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:49 pm

josh wrote:I was going to moan and groan before I looked at what this is, but after watching the video I *highly* think this is something Netonix should pick up on.

Chris, I'd take a look at this and see how easy it would be to integrate. This could be a very big selling point for your routers.

We have a bunch of hotspots in the wild, and if this is a feature we could offer our customers as they roam through town, we would be all over advertising and selling this feature.

The neat thing is that (w)ISP can work together on this. You can setup controllers to talk to each other, and allow users on ISP A roam on ISP B's network and vice versa...
Also the system is free for under 100 users...

Return to General Discussion