Non PoE MDU Switches

Help us decide what to build next.
jonwang

Non PoE MDU Switches

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:30 pm

I would love a switch that is 16-24 port Gig Copper and 2-4 Optical ports. We regularly backhaul fiber, AF24s, or licensed gear to large condo/apartment communities. We then run fiber in an Active Ethernet setup. We have always struggled to find a switch that handles the heat (sometimes they're in closets but most of the time in outdoor enclosures), has a simple GUI, port isolation so we don't have to do hundreds of vlans, and isn't super expensive. Love the PoE switches so something similar but non PoE would be awesome for multiple dwelling units.

jonwang

Re: Non PoE MDU Switches

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:16 am

I was just looking at UBNT's ES-12F and the 24 port lite switches. They seem to fit the bill for me, but I told myself I would never use Ubiquiti for switching after the toughswitch.

I'd prefer a similar netonix non PoE switch (and with higher operating temperatures?), but I can understand that maybe not being your niche. Any plans for non PoE switches down the road?

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:01 am

You run fiber but use a copper switch ?

I use Huawei switch. Can be found for cheap if you search a little and the're lot of model with lot of feature, probably also temperature extended. The're also Tik CRS serie (CRS212 is SFP only) but those are horrible to configure, as usual with Tik lol.

I also used TP-Link 12 SFP ports one in hot condition and didn't have any problem with them even if not designed for this.

jonwang

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:11 am

@mike99 Fiber to the building and customer ports are copper. I've tried the Tik switches and they are such a pain to configure. Love the ease of use with Netonix poe switches and they've performed really well for us that's why I was hoping for a Netonix "Lite" style switch.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:15 am

So you want a NON POE version of our new WS-26-400-AC then?
No POE at all just a switch?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Taigar

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:40 pm

I was thinking about this also.

I have a lot of netonix switches, and really like them.

I have a couple of Cisco SG200 switches, and do not like them that much.

What switch do you advise, that has the same features as your netonix switches, but say like 24 gigabit copper connections?
Either no POE at all, or maybe 6-12 POE ports.

I could use a netonix switch, but they are a bit expensive if you don't need any POE.

Return to What should we build next