Cable coming soon.

RF Armor®™ is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
RB_Oklahoma

Re: Cable coming soon.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Got my review spools in, lopped off a few feet of each to make some cables. Cable looks like the PVC on the outside of the jacket is nice and uniform, cutting off the outer layers I notice that the foil tape is a little on the thin side compared to our usual toughcable or shireen(shouldn't hurt anything, and will probably help not getting cut by it), but the drain wire feels super stiff, kind of like it is a low grade stainless cable that you can only flex a few times before it breaks. The tape is nice and tight on the inner conductors, and the PVC on the conductors is nice and uniform also. Twists per inch are nice and uniform, and it is a stiffer copper which makes throwing an end on it much easier.
Sorry I'm not much at these reviews, but the main thing is the drain wire is too stiff, and broke 3 times before I got an end on and it took. Anyone else see this?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 pm

The drain wire is not stainless steel, it is tinned copper, the exact same as the other cables your mentioned.

I personally have not had any issues with the drain wire breaking but I did call several other people using the cable and asked them but they also did not report this issue?

The only thing we could think was that maybe your scoring the drain wire when cutting the jacket which would cause to break?

The foil if you look close at it is an aluminum laminated plastic tape, plastic on one side aluminum on the other. The aluminum side comes in contact with the drain wire as it wraps the cable for an electrical connection between the foil and the ESD drain wire. The thickness of the foil makes no difference in the shielding capability but we liked this material as it helps prevent cable links and allows for a smoother tighter bend radius.

But we will wait and see if anyone else has an issue with the drain wire.

Overall do you feel you will continue to use our cable and do you like the pricing and the wooden spool?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

dcshobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm

I had our technicians look at both models of cable today. We have been using Apex9 cable for the last year and have also used Shireen, UBNT, and Primus cable as well.

So far, their thoughts are that we should purchase more of your double jacket cable. For the cost difference between the double and single jacket cable, we would ONLY order the double jacket. The $8 difference between the two means there's no reason to purchase the single jacket, at least for us. We'll take the extra protection and possible saved truck roll for the small extra cost any day. Myself personally, I would just stick to one cable and sell the heck out of it instead of producing and stocking two models.

Good: cable felt tough, double jacket, strong aluminum foil, strong ESD wire, doesn't kink easy

Bad: none that we can find right now

Neutral: wire has shiny outer jacket compared to other brands (is this normal or because of stronger material?), not sure how they like wooden spool yet as we've always had cable come in cardboard box on plastic spool but I'm sure if you provide or point us to a good spool carrier, they'd be happy.

Anyway, our techs agreed if you make more of this double jacket cable at the $128 price point, we'll order a pallet from you as soon as it is available. Just make sure it's not a UBNT Toughcable green cable fiasco ;)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks for your review, really appreciate your taking the time to let people and us know your thoughts on the cable.

We do have more double jacket cable in stock if you want to order some now. We have a another container landing in about 6 weeks.

The shiny outer jacket is normal, it is the material we went with. It was the highest most expensive UV rated jacket material the manufacturer had to offer.

I offer the 2 models because some people will find it harder to put the ends on the double jacket and will not like messing with it, others will.

On the next shipment the print on the cable for the double jacket will be brighter like on the single jacket cable.

We plan to offer a cable caddy in the future but for now here you go:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... tbm=shop&*
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Wifimax

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm

We actually had much better results when we crimped on the "inside" cable vs the outside jacket.

We strip the outside jacket back a few feet on all installs, if there ever is a knick in the outer jacket this never allows it into the POE brick.

Placing an order for your cable soon.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 pm

sirhc wrote:On the next shipment the print on the cable for the double jacket will be brighter like on the single jacket cable...
What about the footage numbers? It is good to know how many feet are left on a roll before starting the pull rather than find out afler the spool runs out that it was too short.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 pm

We do have numbers, but not in Feet, in Meters

I could have went with feet but I remembered my 5th grade teachers telling me would be metric before I graduated.....well I am almost an adult so I figure metric is soon.

The more I work in the field of (mechanical and electrical) engineering though the more I use metric

I used to do Civil Engineering years ago but I used feet for that, only in mechanical, electrical and chemical do you use metric.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:00 pm

sirhc wrote:We do have numbers, but not in Feet, in Meters...

I meant footage in the generic, not literal sense. We even use the term "footage" when talking digital IP cam recording. We never say meterage.

Same goes for gas mileage as in "what do you get for mileage on your truck?". We don't ask "how many litres per hundred kilometers do you get?".

Anyway... I could have sworn I read a complaint here that the length numbers were not printed on the cable. Did I just dream it?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

lligetfa wrote:Anyway... I could have sworn I read a complaint here that the length numbers were not printed on the cable. Did I just dream it?

It is on both cables however the printing on the first batch of Double Jacket was a little on the light side but we got them to make it brighter when they ran the single jacket and will be brighter on all runs here on out.

I think you might have half way remember these 2 posts?
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2402&start=20#p18311
sirhc wrote:On the next shipment the print on the cable for the double jacket will be brighter like on the single jacket cable.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2402#p16902
sirhc wrote:So the first production run of our double jacket cable had lighter than desired printing on the cable so we asked our contractor to make the print brighter on future production runs.

The single jacket production run is done today and getting packed up for shipment so Harry (our guy on site) just sent me a picture to show me that indeed the printing has been made BRIGHTER to our specification. :hurray:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm

We sold quite a bit of cable but not many reviews.

I think our cable is pretty good and can save a WISP quite a bit of money over a years period.

https://www.rfarmor.com/cable-connectors.html

PreviousNext
Return to RF Armor™