48V DC Output Terminal

Help us decide what to build next.
jeremylu

48V DC Output Terminal

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:41 pm

The netonix switches are AWESOME, and the DC ones have solved a problem I've been having since I took on the task of managing a wisp.

My frustration was that all the sites were doing battery backup with an APC UPS
- they often don't come back on after a power outage, and usually need a truck roll to just push the button if they don't recover.
- it is extremely innefficient to do the AC-DC-AC-DC conversion in a power outage (120 AC charging battery, Battery converting to AC, then converting to DC for equipment)

I now have a Samlex 24V charger and 2 12V batteries in series, the Netonix alerts me outages, and lasts WAY longer than an APC did with the same batteries during an outage.

So, now my request, a dedicated 48V output terminal, the reason's I've come across this need specifically are:
- Lighting (LED systems are often 48V)
- Cambium PacketFlux Sync Injectors and CMM's
- LTE equipment usually seems to want a 48VDC supply

Yes, I'm able to use the 48V pins on the POE ports (And I actually am), but a dedicated 48V terminal would keep these ports free and still use the AWESOME job that Netonix does taking a varying DC source, and outputting stable 48V and 24V POE.

Might as well do a 24V terminal too if you are doing 48V.

Thanks.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Re: 48V DC Output Terminal

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:13 am

how much power would you need for the dedicated 48 volt user terminal??

jeremylu

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Some of the equipment I'm looking at is max 65W @ 48V for a single sector. So, theoretically I could splice the positive pins and negative pins together on the Cat5 Cable and use one of the 48VH ports on the Netonix. But that uses up one of the POE ports. Other LTE base stations say up to 186W for a 4x4 system (2 sectors in 1), which would need a dedicated power supply.

The LED lights I'm currently using are max 20W @ 48V, and I'm actually splicing pins on a 48V port to power them. It's nice because I'm able to verify they are working because the Netonix shows the Amps on the port when the Photocell turns them on in the evening.

PacketFlux's SyncInjectors support a maximum of 2A at 24-56V, and I'm currently running mine with a separate 48V power supply, it is a bit over the max that I would want to connect to the power pins on a 48VH port, but theoretically possible since I'm only running 3x 3630AP's on this specific site.

So, the power demands could be quite high, and might be too much for a Netonix switch to handle.

I'm only really posting this to see if I'm not the only one who would use this.

Thanks.

highlands

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Think about running 48VDC everywhere. It will simplify your network, make more reliable, and fit the power needs of more devices.

John

ginovilla

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:59 am

how about a switch with SFP slots and paired 48 dc terminals... that way you canwatchdog monitor and remotely reboot such gear if needed

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:10 am

ginovilla wrote:how about a switch with SFP slots and paired 48 dc terminals... that way you canwatchdog monitor and remotely reboot such gear if needed

People can do this now with a little MacGyver as our Watchdog as is can ping a device on the SFP port yet power cycle a copper port.

One could make a jumper twisting the PROPER wires together to supply power to a device connected to an SFP port on failure.

THE PROPER WIRES!!!!
Pins 1,2,4,5 (POSITIVE) - ORANGE AND BLUE PAIRS
Pins 3,6,7,8 (NEGATIVE) - GREEN AND BROWN PAIRS
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Magician
Associate
Associate

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:01 am

jeremylu,

It sounds like you are one of the guys asking Baicell to support POE as well as dc input. I see the use case but a site with 3/5 sectors might be a tough call

jeremylu

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:30 pm

I like the SFP option, and Yes I'm trying the Baicells gear.

On another note, finally found out the pinout for the PMP320 as we were having AP's rebooting when under high usage when going through a PacketFlux.

So, here is what I did today (keep in mind this solution doesn't have timing.....yet, that will involve a tower climb and hooking up the SyncBox to the timing port instead of using the SyncInjector).

Had to cross wires 4 & 8 because the PMP320 wants Positive to be 5&8 and Ground to be 4&7.

Hopefully it makes it overnight without any reboots, then I can plan for moving the SyncBox Monday when we take down the BaiCells Gear to test on a different tower.

Yet again, using the Netonix to solve a problem proving difficult otherwise.

Return to What should we build next