Radome material causing chain issue?

Ubiquiti Networks® is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
bditty

Radome material causing chain issue?

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:14 pm

As you can see in the photo, the Radome material on our Ubiquiti RocketDish(RD530) using RF ARMOR shielding is a bit "wavy" I guess you could say, as opposed to flat. It is actually a bit worse than it looks in the photo. That said, whereas our overall signal strength is great (49dBm), our RX Chain 0 / 1 is -61 dBm / -49dBm, which is obviously costing us throughput and latency issues.

We have re-aimed both of the dishes on each tower multiple times, about 1 mile apart, and can achieve acceptable results for a short period, only to have the Rx Chain fall back into the aforementioned range within less than a 24 hour period. I was wondering if the radome not being perfectly flat could be causing this issue? If so, I can bring it down and iron it.

rocketdish.jpg

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Radome material causing chain issue?

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:42 pm

No I do not think the radome is causing this issue.

However it should not be wavy like that.
Was it like that NEW?
How old is the kit?

Where the sections bolt together there are 4 screws which are used to adjust the ring which is why we suggest people install them on the ground.

For a chain mis-match I would think the radio or a jumper or interference.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

bditty

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Yes, it came like that. I am in Mexico, and I suppose that this shielding sat down here at the distributor for quite a while before we ordered it. Our other Radome looks the same. Just ordered a third. Think I will iron out the new one and swap them out and work on them. And we always assemble them on the ground. I cannot imagine putting one together on the tower. Think I will work on the new one and swap it out with the ones we have and adjust them each as we take them down. And ordering some new jumpers probably couldn't hurt as well. Not an interference thing. Thanks for the response.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:14 pm

bditty wrote:Yes, it came like that. I am in Mexico, and I suppose that this shielding sat down here at the distributor for quite a while before we ordered it. Our other Radome looks the same. Just ordered a third. Think I will iron out the new one and swap them out and work on them. And we always assemble them on the ground. I cannot imagine putting one together on the tower. Think I will work on the new one and swap it out with the ones we have and adjust them each as we take them down. And ordering some new jumpers probably couldn't hurt as well. Not an interference thing. Thanks for the response.

WIth the one on the ground as I said there are 4 screws between each of the 4 sections that make the radome which allows you to adjust the diameter of the tube which should allow the radome material to be taunght?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to airMAX™