sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: PowerBeam 16/19 shield kit

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:51 pm

jjonsson wrote:@Sirhc

So what to do with this: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/litebeam-ac-ap/

http://pliki.interprojekt.pl/wiki/attac ... 19-ISO.pdf

Should I cover backside of it with thin foil ?

The problem with this design is the MASSIVE holes on the back, the circle in the middle and the square for the door.

In my "opinion" this kit will provide no front to back improvement and only provide a little relief on RF noise shooting "across" the face perpendicular to the antenna.

Can we say placebo?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:04 pm

sirhc wrote:The problem with this design is the MASSIVE holes on the back, the circle in the middle and the square for the door.

In my "opinion" this kit will provide no front to back improvement and only provide a little relief on RF noise shooting "across" the face perpendicular to the antenna.

Can we say placebo?

That was my first thought, that it is more placebo than substance. I even wonder if there would be some added knife edge diffraction?

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm working on a shield for the LiteBeam AC AP.....
Looking forward to what the blacksmith comes up with....

@Sirhc, would be easier if you're already working on a shield ?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:22 pm

There was another thread on the LBE-5AC-120 and Chris said he was waiting to get his hands on some samples to look at. Didn't hear anything further.

Given the way the mount on it is, I would worry about adding any weight or wind load to it. Also wonder if people would be willing to pay more for the shield than they paid for the AP.

I do think there could be a market for a cluster mount with integrated shields depending on price.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:38 pm

You are correct, my concern with the both those devices is the plastic swivel mount and adding weight and windload.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:46 pm

If you can make the cost numbers work, just don't use the built-in mount to attach to the pole. Make you own mount on the shield to attach to the pole.

So the LBE mounts to your shield with the plastic nut that fixes the gimbal. Make a metal cap that slips over the nut for RF blocking and then your shield mounts to the pole.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:52 pm

It might be easier to make the numbers work if you only made the shields part of the cluster mount since consumers would probably be OK with paying more for a cluster.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:55 pm

I will look into it. But the problem is I build in the USA not China.

People talk BIG and say they would pay extra to support a company paying reasonable wages but when it comes down to spending they recant.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:01 pm

I was thinking more of a molded item for the LBE sector for front-to-back instead of sheet metal. Take an accurate mold of the unit, then make a snap on shield with a high-alumina plastic. Add sheet metal 'wings'.

Might be able to do a mold and press sheet metal (think car fender) also. Granted, this is a lot of tooling. Would be VERY cheap to produce excluding the tooling cost though.

As far as the NBE-19-ISO... I'm told by a reliable source that they work exceptionally well. Keep in mind that the NBE-19 models are CRAZY as far as radiation pattern. almost anything you did would be a 75% improvement.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:14 pm

sirhc wrote:I will look into it. But the problem is I build in the USA not China...

IKWYM and was why I keep saying if the numbers work. Again, people have a problem to pay more for the shield than they pay for the AP, doesn't matter that to do the same thing with Rockets and sectors would cost 5X as much. They just get hung up on the principle of it.

That was why I suggested doing it only with a cluster kit. There would only be one pipe mount for the cluster kit and the shields could be made to connect to the cluster kit for less.

sirhc wrote:People talk BIG and say they would pay extra to support a company paying reasonable wages but when it comes down to spending they recant.

That too. Talk is cheap. You cannot go by surveys. If you can nail down some numbers, do a dry run market and get them to prepay. That's assuming you can knock off a limited run without major tooling.

The problem if you have high tooling expense is Ubiquiti could change their design at any time and you need to retool.

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next