AC-Powered WISP Switch w/ BATTERY BACKUP CHARGING

Help us decide what to build next.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: AC-Powered WISP Switch w/ BATTERY BACKUP CHARGING

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:20 am

We're also powering RB850Gx2 units directly off the netonix. Keeping the main backhaul on untagged vlan 1 so we can hit the netonix IP over that if the router goes down, can power cycle it from there or worst case, even move vlans around to bypass the router and use the upstream router. This was an issue on some other mikrotiks but the 850Gx2 has been a champ. w/ fasttrack it's handling everything we throw at it without issue.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:54 am

[offtopic]
We use Mikrotik Gigabit PoE spliter to power ERL, ER-PoE and ER-X but a dc male to dc male cable is needed since the adapter have a female plug. The ERL work in 24V from our test.

http://routerboard.com/RBGPOE
[/offtopic]

wispwest

Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:58 pm

ste wrote:
wispwest wrote:
rkelly1 wrote: We've learned that power sources are the main reason for outages. Reducing these reduces the amount of events in our network.

So having a plug and play UPS with the netonix switch would be great and reduce complexity further. At main sites we use APC-X Series with managment card.

We've learned over the years as well, probably 40% of our outages are not only power outage related, but also APC lock-ups. Where we show up at the site during a hard-down outage on EVERYTHING, and the "red light" is on, alarm is sounding, and it says "overload" or something. While we are not even close to maximum load, in fact only maybe 10%, the problem is from either a power surge, or a power break, where the power "flickers" off and on really quick, is just enough to trip it into safety shut down. Also, all the newer APC's will shut down or lock-up when the temp drops below zero in the winter.

Perfect use for Netonix, switch to a complete DC system, where you have a charger/controller to supply the DC power and also keep your batteries charged, you get longer runtime, and no lock-ups from power surges, etc.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:17 am

APC and other standard ups were always a nightmare, quit using them and moved to more purpose built charge controllers... Like tycon tp-poe2424hp units.

wispwest

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Chris, any update on this? This will be a DEAL-BREAKER to all other POE switches and the new UBNT outdoor DC powered POE switch!

I really do believe the perfect WISP SWITCH would be one with +/- battery terminals to wire up 12V batteries for it to keep charged, and auto-switch to battery backup when AC input does out.

Not to mention, the power consumption stats that are already there, you could easily just input your battery bank size, and get a accurate estimated runtime when on battery backup!! :)

Digital Loggers did it, I KNOW you can!

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm powering my EdgeRouter X's from the Netonix switch. AirFiber PoE adapter + WS-6-MINI + EdgeRouter X :hurray:

But I would like to have a switch that can charge batteries and act like a UPS.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:08 pm

have to eat my words, had a small outage yesterday when an APC at a small site failed to come back up after the standard 'outage duration' = 'UPC capacity + 15 minutes' scenario.

Chris, instead of altering the switch, maybe you guys could just offer a decent charge controller to pair with the DC switches.

Previous
Return to What should we build next