TS5PoE/ERX wall mounts

Help us decide what to build next.
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: TS5PoE/ERX wall mounts

Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:27 am

rebelwireless wrote:Some uses don't need the Mercedes. Sometimes you just need an inexpensive poe injector switch that doesn't need top end performance. Your enterprise line definitely has its place, but I'm not putting $1000 in switches in for a poe camera install because it has zero benefit and is 2x-3x more expensive. I'm pushing maybe 10-15Mbps across these thing in a climate controlled space.

I won't install another junk ts8pro at a tower.

If your cheaper switch comes in at $99, is easily mountable and is better quality than the er-x-sfp, then I'll use it for small camera and unifi installs, but I want a temperature tollerant quality switch at towers.

I agree we NEED a CHEAP version of the WS-6 and we are working on it.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:40 am

rebelwireless wrote:...the little keyhole slots that are always a hassle to line up mounting screws and getting the right depth.

Make a template from a small piece of metal. Use countersink screws with oval head.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:44 am

lligetfa wrote:
rebelwireless wrote:...the little keyhole slots that are always a hassle to line up mounting screws and getting the right depth.

Make a template from a small piece of metal. Use countersink screws with oval head.

I have a template I CNC'd on some scrap plexi with a few mounting patterns on it. Always run into a new hole pattern on the next model of something, UPS's like to do this to me, so the template isn't good for too long and does add to the clutter of tools. Seriously, who's idea were those holes!

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:55 am

sirhc wrote:I agree we NEED a CHEAP version of the WS-6 and we are working on it.
One of the biggest selling features of the MINI is that it can do both 24V and 48V. IMHO $99 is too expensive for a single voltage device. There are already several other cheap switches on the market.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 pm

rebelwireless wrote:I have a template I CNC'd on some scrap plexi with a few mounting patterns on it. Always run into a new hole pattern on the next model of something, UPS's like to do this to me, so the template isn't good for too long and does add to the clutter of tools. Seriously, who's idea were those holes!

I dunno... carry around a template or carry around a wall-mount kit... six of one, half dozen of the other. You can always make a throw-away template with a sheet of paper and trace out the holes or take a minute to measure.

I hate blind keyholes as much as the next guy but I'm way too frugal to buy and stock wall-mount kits. I've been known to hold the screws in the keyhole with monkey shit and just press it against the wall to leave impressions.

taytrho

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:18 pm

I haven't been in the business for long. But, while I don't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a device that will do every single little thing i want / need / desire, I don't wan to pay bottom dollar for a product with poor qualitity and has almost enough features to get me by. That would be the tough switch... It'll power my gear, but at the cost of lacking so many features I want. Netonix is "pricey" if you are to compare only prices. But the features are amazing for the price point, and there really isn't anything else on the market that is comparable at these prices.

Where I'm working, we've been talking to manufacturers such as Alcatel, Juniper, Huawei (Huawei gives us what we want the most imho... but, "politics" keep us from using them. Infuriating.), and quite a few others to get what we're looking for. Ordering in bulk as a large company can get you exactly what you want, while keeping a reasonable price. I think smaller wisps have a harder time understanding that all these features do come at a price.

As I'm starting my own business networking company, Netonix technically has more features than I will need in the average area. But the feature they do have, with the price and quality, will keep my business for sure. And the extra features will always have their implementations. I've always been the guy to pay a little more for a better product, vs. the cheapest I can find. A little investment goes a long way. I've already seen that a lot in the WISP business. When we spend the least we can, it always bites us in the rear. When we spend the most we can, that often too bites us in the rear. There has to be a balance. All too often It seems to take teams of people, and lots of time and money to find what that balance really is.

For what I want, the $99 wisp mini vs the $149... I'd Go with the 149. But that's personal preference. Better parts and construction, more features. There will be uses for the 99 version, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Other's instead will choose conveniency then sorry.

To every man, his own opinions :cheers:

Previous
Return to What should we build next