UBNT PoE Factory Default Reset...

Help us decide what to build next.
darren

Re: UBNT PoE Factory Default Reset...

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:14 pm

BelWave wrote:I haven't tried this or even seen this on one of our older Digital-Loggers 24VDC PoE rebooters, but I happened to notice DL claims they have a way to factory default UBNT gear over the Ethernet cable from their reboot switch.

Today we had a UBNT AP require several "factory default resets" before we had it squared away. Fortunately it was in a relatively easily acessable location. This would be a nice feature to add to the Netonix switches.

From their website:

"Bottom line is that to press the reset button on the M-series hardware remotely all you need to do is to put +15 to +24V on the center tap of the ethernet transformer at the remote end, with respect to the power supply ground"

Won't putting the port into 24VH mode and then back into 24v mode achieve this?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:17 pm

darren wrote:
BelWave wrote:I haven't tried this or even seen this on one of our older Digital-Loggers 24VDC PoE rebooters, but I happened to notice DL claims they have a way to factory default UBNT gear over the Ethernet cable from their reboot switch.

Today we had a UBNT AP require several "factory default resets" before we had it squared away. Fortunately it was in a relatively easily acessable location. This would be a nice feature to add to the Netonix switches.

From their website:

"Bottom line is that to press the reset button on the M-series hardware remotely all you need to do is to put +15 to +24V on the center tap of the ethernet transformer at the remote end, with respect to the power supply ground"

Won't putting the port into 24VH mode and then back into 24v mode achieve this?

NO - If you turn on 24VH to a standard airMAX radio it will fry the radio and the Ethernet port which this type of damage is not covered under UBNT or Netonix warranty.

24VH WILL FRY LEGACY 10/100 airMAX RADIOS
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

darren

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:14 pm

sirhc wrote:24VH WILL FRY LEGACY 10/100 airMAX RADIOS

Wow - no need to shout - the explanation would have been sufficient.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:59 pm

darren wrote:
sirhc wrote:24VH WILL FRY LEGACY 10/100 airMAX RADIOS

Wow - no need to shout - the explanation would have been sufficient.

LOL, not shouting, sorry if you took it that way, just making sure people notice it because I seem to keep saying it over and over again yet people still manage to fry ports in switches by doing just that.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:33 pm

I did try this on port 2 (25VH) on the WS-6-MINI with a PowerBeam AC-500. It did reset to default and it's still working fine.
Won't recommend it though....

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:55 pm

A PBE-5AC has a gig port so pins 1,2&3,6 are all to centre tap on the ethernet transformer. 100 meg kit is different.

LRL
Experienced Member

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:44 am

I could see the use for a remote reset. We have a few solar sites that when winter rolls in it's a really long way in to do anything. We mount extra hardware that isn't powered just in case though :)

If you have a router on site or even upstream there is simply no need to monkey with any NAT in the switch to reprogram, use a router for what it's designed for. I frequently have my not so savvy installers mount gear on towers that's still defaulted and then I deal with programing it from my office. Honestly much simpler than explaining it over the phone.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:32 am

LRL wrote:If you have a router on site or even upstream there is simply no need to monkey with any NAT in the switch

The catch is that if you are routing and then you reset the radio to factory, you have to have a route to that 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to reprogram it. You could destination NAT it, or do a tunnel of some sort, but there is something that needs to be done to access that 192.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:37 am

rebelwireless wrote:
LRL wrote:If you have a router on site or even upstream there is simply no need to monkey with any NAT in the switch

The catch is that if you are routing and then you reset the radio to factory, you have to have a route to that 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to reprogram it. You could destination NAT it, or do a tunnel of some sort, but there is something that needs to be done to access that 192.

When our installers install a replacement Rocket M5 on a tower we simply add the ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 secondary to the virtual interface in the tower router connected to the radio.

Next we SSH into the Rocket from the router and use the Linux command to set the radio IP/MASK/Gateway.

Now we can login to the web UI as normal from our workstation and set it up.

Lastly we remove the temporary IP address - no ip address 192.168.1.20 255.255.255.0 secondary

Done

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:47 am

Chris, I'm not prepared to train people on SSH login and openwrt commands :p

I've been setting up an nginx reverse proxy and adding a NAT entry on each site-router to 192.168.1.20 so users can hit a landing page and just click on the site and they will get whichever device is at the factory default. Much less training that way. It works, I just got side tracked so I only have a couple sites in there to test.

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next