UBNT PoE Factory Default Reset...

Help us decide what to build next.
BelWave

UBNT PoE Factory Default Reset...

Fri May 08, 2015 12:40 pm

I haven't tried this or even seen this on one of our older Digital-Loggers 24VDC PoE rebooters, but I happened to notice DL claims they have a way to factory default UBNT gear over the Ethernet cable from their reboot switch.

Today we had a UBNT AP require several "factory default resets" before we had it squared away. Fortunately it was in a relatively easily acessable location. This would be a nice feature to add to the Netonix switches.

From their website:

"Bottom line is that to press the reset button on the M-series hardware remotely all you need to do is to put +15 to +24V on the center tap of the ethernet transformer at the remote end, with respect to the power supply ground"

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: UBNT PoE Factory Default Reset...

Fri May 08, 2015 3:01 pm

you only need to short the PoE wires while the radio is powered on to trigger a factory reset.

BelWave

Fri May 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Ok, great. So, is there a button in the Netonix GUI that allows you to do this? If not, than that is a feature that might be worth consideration.

Brad

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri May 08, 2015 3:13 pm

I would assume that the current gear can't do this. Shorting wires or adding voltage to pins that typically never have PoE output means a physical change... could be wrong

highlands

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:01 am

Well to follow that reset to factory default request and to not have to roll a tech to the site (because if he was there he could just use a UBNT PoE to do the reset to factory default) you would need to add a feature that would allow NATing from the management subnet to one subnet on the interface (192.168.1.0/24) that way we could reprogram the reset device and then after applying the production configuration, we could release it from the 'special mode' back into normal operations on its normal subnet. That would save time and money by not having to roll a tech to the site.

John

Hexis

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:26 pm

I second this. If there is a way to send a reset signal up the pairs from the netonix switch this would be immensely helpful. I have done this by accident several times, but I have never done it intentionally from a switch!

Hexis

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Hexis wrote:I second this. If there is a way to send a reset signal up the pairs from the netonix switch this would be immensely helpful. I have done this by accident several times, but I have never done it intentionally from a switch!

But even if you still had a way to just reset it, and not be able to remotely access the radio, it would still be immensely helpful as it would eliminate the need to climb the tower.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Hexis wrote:
Hexis wrote:I second this. If there is a way to send a reset signal up the pairs from the netonix switch this would be immensely helpful. I have done this by accident several times, but I have never done it intentionally from a switch!

But even if you still had a way to just reset it, and not be able to remotely access the radio, it would still be immensely helpful as it would eliminate the need to climb the tower.

This is not something that can be done in software and would require a re-design. It is something we can re-visit on future designs but it adds costs to the unit for something that is rarely used. Figure at least $0.50 per port in cost which would mean about $1 per port in MSRP plus is would increase the size of the unit.

To do this it would require an extra MOSFET circuit per port.

As far as not having to climb a tower do you not carry a POE adapter in your truck which you can unplug the radio from the switch and plug it into the adapter then reset it to factory defaults then plug it back into the switch?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:30 pm

sirhc wrote:
As far as not having to climb a tower do you not carry a POE adapter in your truck which you can unplug the radio from the switch and plug it into the adapter then reset it to factory defaults then plug it back into the switch?

I carry the adapter for ground-level resets. There's not much reason to climb a tower for a reset of a 'cheap' radio like a Rocket. This doesn't allow for remote resets though, which would be a nice thing to avoid.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Sorry, I just can't see a use for such a feature, and can't think of one either...

Next
Return to What should we build next