Quadroplex Switch with multiple PoE Inputs

Help us decide what to build next.
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Quadroplex Switch with multiple PoE Inputs

Tue May 26, 2015 4:53 pm

RavenWing71 wrote:Lots of interesting ideas. rebelwireless has shown that the circuit for combining the POEs is quite simple. The real challenge in my proposal seems to be forcing the tenants to use the PoE injectors.

One of the reasons I think it makes sense to build it into the switch is the belief that you could rig a simple circuit that allows the CPU to detect power per port with it's GPIO pins. Then the OS can periodically scan the GPIO pins and choose to administratively down any port that doesn't have power.

So I don't expect that there is really much R&D needed. I had no idea of the prototyping costs, so I can see where the hesitation comes in. Perhaps Crowd Sourcing this product is a good idea?

To design and build prototypes, do safety testing, certifications, and then bring to market with a minimum of 1,000 units would be about $175,000.00 to $250,000.00
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

alidamji

Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:34 am

You could try below to power up the switch:
http://www.mini-box.com/Y-PWR-Hot-Swap- ... Controller

josh
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:07 pm

This works pretty well... power from 2 different units via POE.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:33 pm

One of the req's was that if a sub unplugged their PoE brick to save on their electric bill, that they would lose internet access. What I proposed using the AGWs met that req.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:02 pm

lligetfa wrote:One of the req's was that if a sub unplugged their PoE brick to save on their electric bill, that they would lose internet access. What I proposed using the AGWs met that req.

I have a functional mockup in the lab using a fet on the orange pair to short the line. I haven't put the relay version on a breadboard yet though.

RavenWing71

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:08 pm

sirhc wrote:
RavenWing71 wrote:Lots of interesting ideas. rebelwireless has shown that the circuit for combining the POEs is quite simple. The real challenge in my proposal seems to be forcing the tenants to use the PoE injectors.

One of the reasons I think it makes sense to build it into the switch is the belief that you could rig a simple circuit that allows the CPU to detect power per port with it's GPIO pins. Then the OS can periodically scan the GPIO pins and choose to administratively down any port that doesn't have power.

So I don't expect that there is really much R&D needed. I had no idea of the prototyping costs, so I can see where the hesitation comes in. Perhaps Crowd Sourcing this product is a good idea?

To design and build prototypes, do safety testing, certifications, and then bring to market with a minimum of 1,000 units would be about $175,000.00 to $250,000.00

So, it sounds like crowd sourcing 1000+ units at $250 each would get the job done... I would base it on your existing 6-port switch. Perhaps with an outdoor case.

Is Crowd Sourcing this something that the other posters in this thread see as a viable option?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:35 pm

not at $250. I think <$100.

$175K+ for a basic injector unit is WAY too high, maybe that's for modifying your switch design to handle it. Certification is $10-20K (probably under $10k because there are no transformers or anything that leaks emf and it's dc) for a basic device like this, but the actual design isn't anything complicated, requires no software design, just a simple device with inexpensive components. less than $20k and that's high. The case is as significant a cost as the circuit.

RavenWing71

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:15 pm

It would, I believe, be a Netonix WS-6-MINI switch with a different PoE arrangement. I agree that $250 each once volume production is in swing would be too high, but the WS-6-MINI is $169.95 as is, so it's not too far out of line.
Last edited by RavenWing71 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:26 pm

RavenWing71 wrote:It would, i believe, be a Netonix WS-6-MINI switch with a different PoE arrangement. I agree that $250 each once volume production is in swing would be too high, but the WS-6-MINI is $169.95 as is, so it's not too far out of line.

The WS-6-MINI is a WHOLE lot more than is needed.

The WS-6-MINI has an Enterprise/Entry Level Carrier switch core, it is NOT based on a SOHO switch core.

It has HIGH capacity Ethernet transformers to allow 2A POE in and high POE out capacity.

It also has a lot of memory and Flash.

That WS-6-MINI is a crazy powerful switch in a small package

Look at what some other manufacturers are charging for FAR LESS, here is Tycon Power with enclosure included for $205. Remove the $25 enclosure and you have a 5 port dumb switch $180 and it can only do 24V OR 48V not both and does not have any real software features.

http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp? ... OUT24&o1=0
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

RavenWing71

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:38 pm

I agree that the WS-6-MINI has more features than we need for this, but I worry about going cheap. The ToughSwitch went cheep, and it has become famous for not handling gigabit to 100megabit transitions. By going big, your switches don't have that problem. AirMax AC and Mimosa both provide gigabit ports on their CPEs. Most routers in people's hands have 100M WAN ports. So this actually is an upcoming issue.

You must also ask, who will you be competing with?

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next