Quadroplex Switch with multiple PoE Inputs

Help us decide what to build next.
RavenWing71

Re: Quadroplex Switch with multiple PoE Inputs

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:19 pm

The problem we have is that the State of Washington Electrical Inspector in our area is under the impression that all backbone connections containing parts made by us, read as we put the end on the Ethernet cable, must be inspected. He defines a backbone connection as any data connection handling data for more than one premise. So, we have to refer to the National Electrical Code. The NEC section 90.7 says, generally, that the purpose of having your product listed is so that the inspector doesn't have grounds to make you prove through on-site testing that the installed equipment is safe. Further NEC section 800.170 says:
Communications equipment shall be listed as being suitable for electrical connection to a communications network.
Informational Note: One way to determine applicable requirements is to refer to UL 60950-1-2007, Standard for Safety of Information Technology Equipment; [..]

And referring to UL 60950-1-2007:
1.1.1 Equipment covered by this standard
[..]
This standard is also applicable to such information technology equipment:
- designed for use as telecommunication terminal equipment and TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK infrastructure equipment, regardless of the source of power;
- designed and intended to be connected directly to, or used as infrastructure equipment in, a CABLE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM, regardless of the source of power;
- designed to use the AC MAINS SUPPLY as a communication transmission medium (see Clause 6, Note 4 and 7.1, Note 4).

This part of IEC 60950 is also applicable to:
- components and subassemblies intended for incorporation in this equipment. Such components and subassemblies need not comply with every requirement of the standard, provided that the complete equipment, incorporating such components and subassemblies, does comply;
- external power supply units intended to supply other equipment within the scope of this part of IEC 60950;
- accessories intended to be used with equipment within the scope of this part of IEC 60950

We would have to convince the inspector that the placement or status of the device is outside the scope of the NEC code to use devices that are not UL listed.

So, If you can point me at something that states that this device is outside the code, I will gladly stable the high-horse and get back to business.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:31 pm

It is a mute point as we do not make this device and whereas we are just kicking it around.

To be honest if we did build this device which would be a VERY LOW VOLUME market we definitely would not pay for UL listing on such a low volume device as it would drive the MSRP way to high unless you were selling 1,000,000 units per year.

Up until recently most all of UBNT gear was NOT UL certified either and a large portion still is not, depends on which product you look at. I "think" they got the UniFi UL certified and some of the consumer grade equipment as it should not be a Class B device but rather Class A. Our switches are Class B devices same as the ToushSwitch.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:42 pm

These two lines are pretty clear
Code: Select all
- designed to use the AC MAINS SUPPLY as a communication transmission medium (see Clause 6, Note 4 and 7.1, Note 4).
- external power supply units intended to supply other equipment within the scope of this part of IEC 60950;

This device isn't a power supply nor would it connect to the MAINS power. It's not communications equipment either, it's a passive device like an RJ45 coupler. If your local electrical inspector has that opinion, he is wrong. I've worked in Washington state quite a bit and can assure you that low voltage does not require electrical inspection at all. I'm done arguing this, UL listing is not required in any way shape or form for a device like this or else 90% of the products out there that have a separate power supply would be illegal because the power supply is the only think likely to be UL listed.

Chris, I do a lot of Unifi, and boxes I got yesterday (UAP, UAP Outdoor+) do not have any UL listings at all, except the power supplies which are UL labeled.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Yea, I "believe" our power supplies are UL certified but it is not required in the US or EU. I think we opted out of the symbol as you pay for the symbol to be printed on the device and then it works like an insurance premium meaning if there ever is an issue they are liable but you pay an annual fee based on volume plus minimum fee.

Now we will be selling some power adapters in a couple weeks which are also made by the same people who make UBN adapters and I believe my Performa Invoice mentioned that the units are UL certified but really I could have cared less so long as they were CE which is really all that required for Class B devices.

Now technically if you manufacture a product that marketed for residential and or commercial your supposed to get Class A certified.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Previous
Return to What should we build next