$100

Help us decide what to build next.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: $100

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:32 am

lligetfa wrote:The slightly higher price of the MINI should offset the TS 10% failure rate and you cannot put a price on a good night's sleep. I have every bit of faith that the MINI will be a rock solid product.

It's double the price.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:37 am

sirhc wrote:
lligetfa wrote:I really like the flexibility of powering it either from DC, from another WS, or from a PoE brick. Makes for a great midspan extender too.

Or a barrel connector transformer, do not forgret that option
I did not forget it... that is where the from DC comes in but obviously the DC could come from another source such as solar (regulated).

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:37 am

lligetfa wrote:Oh, and the other great thing is that it can do both 24V and 48V in the same package so you swap 24V/48V kit at any time.

for wISP service, I totally agree, that's a great feature! But for Unifi deployments, I only need 24v so there are a lot of 'extra' features. I'm deploying in businesses that unifi is good-enough, so that should give an idea of budget and infrastructure. Inexpensive midspans with 24v passive PoE are needed and the list of available products is short.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:41 am

rebelwireless wrote:
lligetfa wrote:The slightly higher price of the MINI should offset the TS 10% failure rate and you cannot put a price on a good night's sleep. I have every bit of faith that the MINI will be a rock solid product.

It's double the price.
The last time I processed an RMA to Ubiquiti, it cost me more in shipping than it was worth. Then on top of that there was all the handling costs for both the return and the replacement. Our shipping and receiving clerks were unionized so not cheap.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:49 am

rebelwireless wrote:
lligetfa wrote:Oh, and the other great thing is that it can do both 24V and 48V in the same package so you swap 24V/48V kit at any time.

for wISP service, I totally agree, that's a great feature! But for Unifi deployments, I only need 24v so there are a lot of 'extra' features. I'm deploying in businesses that unifi is good-enough, so that should give an idea of budget and infrastructure. Inexpensive midspans with 24v passive PoE are needed and the list of available products is short.
Ubiquiti cannot make up their minds about whether to use 24V or 48V. Take a Rocket for instance... available in 24V and 48V... same thing for UAP and UAP-Pro and UVC/UVC-Pro. Replace a UAP Outdoor with a UAP Outdoor+ and the voltage is different. Then there's the next gen?

I have both 24V and 48V UVC cams and I sometimes move them around to different locations. When Ubiquiti brings out their gen3 cams, it is anybody's guess what voltage they will need.

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:14 pm

When Ubiquiti brings out their gen3 cams, it is anybody's guess what voltage they will need.

And don't forget about amps... It could be normal, high, or higher... at 24 VDC or 48 VDC

And at some point Ubiquiti is likely to start supporting the active standards.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:22 pm

wayneorack wrote:And at some point Ubiquiti is likely to start supporting the active standards.

hahaha ha ha..ha ..ha.....oh, you were serious?

ISW-Mike

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:26 pm

It seems you've answered your question yourself. If you have a device that comes with a mediocre power supply at best, another device that's twice the price, and fails, and another device coming at 3x the price, and no power adapter.....

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:17 pm

nope, I think they can make a 'micro' switch with some features stripped out and put in a plastic case, only 5 ports, 24v only, etc without compromising quality. A direct replacement for a toughswitch poe 5, just better.

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:56 pm

So, besides one port, what features would you want to strip out? Do you want to skimp on hardware (think buffer size)? You might as well buy a TS-5. If it is going to do POE out, it needs to be a managed switch. Since the other management features (VLAN, LAP, etc) are already there, it doesn't save (or make) money to strip them out.

I can see how a just 24V POE out switch might make sense and a plastic case might also be cheaper. It sounds like low cost is your biggest goal. I a am sure that Chris could make a better switch with only the specs you want, but I am not sure that he is interested in a race to the bottom to compete on price.

Have you looked at the RB260GSP?

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next