4.9 backhaul

Help us decide what to build next.
amishgenius
Associate
Associate

4.9 backhaul

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:12 am

I think a 4.9 AC backhaul would awesome. The local sheriff department wants to add a backhaul, but the current crop of available devices is very expensive, but they want to stay out of 5.8...but of course the 5.8 price point is extremely attractive.

Magician
Associate
Associate

Re: 4.9 backhaul

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Not to mention if you deploy a ring in 4.9 and provide data service to public safety your traffic can also be on the ring :)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Yes we are working on a 4.9 GHz radio.

I had pushed for a 4.9 GHz radio from UBNT but they were not sure about it so I am going to try.

We are making sure it does NOT do 5GHz as we really do not want to make equipment to compete with UBNT as I have said to them and everyone many times.

I just would like them to understand that concept and believe it I guess. There are plenty of products for me make that are small volume that does not make sense for them to build as there are other high volume products that are needed and they are better suited to take on.

Hey, my goal is to be worth 10 Million not 10 Billion, plus I just like the challenge and the feeling of building something to help the WISP industry. I feed off gratitude and the feeling of self importance and that I made a difference or helped people. Now do not get me wrong, I also do like money very much but it is not the primary goal but if I can achieve both at the same time then BONUS!!! :mrgreen:

And to be honest the money would make my wife happier and allow me to continue working crazy hours allowing me to keep get out of doing things around the house like mowing the lawn, shoveling the driveway and such! :lol:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:26 pm

sirhc, are you pulling an off-the-self 'ac radio that is 4.9Ghz capable? This would be pretty handy, though only 50Mhz of band in the US. I could absolutely use a 50Mhz ptp 'ac level radio :)

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Magician wrote:Not to mention if you deploy a ring in 4.9 and provide data service to public safety your traffic can also be on the ring :)

Magician,
I've heard this before... but when I looked into the rules it looks like ALL traffic has to be public safety.... what part of the rules are you using to allow ISP traffic on the link?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:07 pm

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/public-safety-spectrum/4-9GHz-Public-Safety-Band.htmlBasically, operators can use the band if they share it with public safety applications, with the requirement that public safety is top priority.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:22 pm

I see nothing there allowing ISP traffic.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:39 pm

I had that bookmarked, I was sure it had a link through to the FCC's public safety exclusions. Basically what it said was that the primary purpose of the link was for public safety, but that a public safety organization could essentially exchange some portion of capacity on a link to facilitate delivery. And that the section 1201-12?? something was vague enough that offering internet access to a public service facility qualified.

now I can't find this information anywhere, when I looked before it was all over the top hits on google. :(

looking in http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47cfr90_main_02.tpl starting in 1201, I can't find anything that is currently allowed, but I think this was a proposition anyway and not signed into effect.

Return to What should we build next