new shield kits?

Help us decide what to build next.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

new shield kits?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:22 am

Are you planning shield kits for the ubnt 500m dishes? I'm really liking the PBE-5AC-500.

Also, how about the little nanobeams? I'm not completely sure how you'd build a shield for them, but I'm using them for shorter PTP links but they are not really friendly co-located, spray signal out the sides and back quite a bit.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: new shield kits?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 am

rebelwireless wrote:Are you planning shield kits for the ubnt 500m dishes? I'm really liking the PBE-5AC-500.

Also, how about the little nanobeams? I'm not completely sure how you'd build a shield for them, but I'm using them for shorter PTP links but they are not really friendly co-located, spray signal out the sides and back quite a bit.

We have one for the PBE-5AC-500: http://www.rfarmor.com/cart/index.php?m ... ucts_id=98

The little NanoBeams - Not yet, that would be a hard one to build.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

RichieRich

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:39 pm

I was actually looking for a shield kit for UAP-AC Outdoors. While this is not something that would come up all that often, I have a project coming up this spring/summer where it could be really useful.

A local church has service outside at a large theater-like venue once a year. Last year I provided a PtP link from a business to the stage for the sound guys. When talking to the tech director, he said they would like to provide wireless to the people attending in the future. I am waiting on word still, but a shield kit for these all-in-one units would be super.

WisTech
Associate
Associate

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:24 pm

The shield kit for the 19/AC could be built around the retainer ring. The way it locks down, you'd have a hole in the center of the shield that the threaded part slides through, then the retainer ring? In my testing, the NBE19AC's are pretty darn good for short range communications, even co-locating, as long as everything else is shielded properly.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:13 pm

WisTech wrote:The shield kit for the 19/AC could be built around the retainer ring. The way it locks down, you'd have a hole in the center of the shield that the threaded part slides through, then the retainer ring? In my testing, the NBE19AC's are pretty darn good for short range communications, even co-locating, as long as everything else is shielded properly.

they are ok. I think they are a bit sloppy on the quoted beamwidth though. nothing can really beat having a shield on a directional antenna.

I think you could make a solid shield unit with two ridges so it essentially snaps on the unit with pressure. I'm going to play around with it a bit over the next few weeks, see if I can make a mock up in plastic for the mechanical aspect.

RichieRich

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:12 am

The way they lay out the seating and equipment for sound control, I don't have to worry about how sloppy the beamwidth is. I have to worry somewhat about co-location interference.

I don't guess I have ever REALLY looked at the specs on the outdoor AC unit. I didn't realize it was actually omni directional. I guess I assumed it was semi directional as it is a similar form factor to the NanoStation M line. Guess that would make it super hard to "shield" in any aspect. Not to mention that it is a poor solution to MANY deployments.

What about a low gain directional antenna for the Outdoor UAP+/5? Max coverage I need from unit is 120' from mounting location.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:24 pm

sirhc wrote:
rebelwireless wrote:Are you planning shield kits for the ubnt 500m dishes? I'm really liking the PBE-5AC-500.

We have one for the PBE-5AC-500: http://www.rfarmor.com/cart/index.php?m ... ucts_id=98

The little NanoBeams - Not yet, that would be a hard one to build.

Makes me wonder if they didn't build them like that on purpose....

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:55 am

I don't think it will be that hard to build, just a departure from the existing shield kits.

Return to What should we build next