Canopy GPS sync on wispswitch

Help us decide what to build next.
expohl

Canopy GPS sync on wispswitch

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Wonder how hard it would be to add the gps pulse or however it works so you could provide sync on the switches? You would own the market then!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Canopy GPS sync on wispswitch

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:45 pm

Where as I appreciate your enthusiasm I fail to understand how a super accurate clock source might assist in an Ethernet switch application?

In wireless communications this accurate clock source is used to do neat things like mitigating self interference or to do channel/spectrum re-use.

When it comes to Ethernet communications that occurs on a closed medium such as copper wire there is no apparent need?

I guess the switch would no longer need an NTP server to acquire accurate times for log entries?

If you are asking the switch to somehow control radios connected to it that is pretty much impossible unless we also made the radios? :crazy:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

expohl

Re: Canopy GPS sync on wispswitch

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:58 am

Canopy as in Cambium PMP aka, ala, Motorola Canopy, these APS and backhauls (maybe 20 models or more in total) primarily receive their gps sync over the ethernet port, this now is accomplished by using a "sync injector" device that takes ethernet from the ethernet switch and adds gps pulse on top and outputs to the radio.

If you could figure out how to do this, so we don't need an extra device you would sell a whole bunch more wisp switches... :crazy:

Return to What should we build next