Power Injector

Help us decide what to build next.
devo

Power Injector

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Would love to see a power injector product that can support all the UBNT products. Something that could either rack or wall mount. DC input (36-72v would be awesome), selectable output per port (24v/48v/56v). Load shedding would be huge.

Something we can mount in the rack at the tower site and feed with DC power, get rid of the AirFiber specialty power injectors and basically cover any radio we put up.

We can then use whatever switch or router we need to do the job.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Power Injector

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Sounds like you described the DC version of the WISP switch.

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:05 pm

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:13 pm

All of the WISP Switches will power airFIBER radios so why would you want a POE adapter?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:38 pm

because there are a few people that want to use a specific series of switch and just need a reliable midspan injector. That said, a 'dumb' PoE injector is easy, but to auto sense voltage needs is a different story and suddenly you've got a 'dumb' wispswitch to get the logic there :/

maybe keep with the dumb midspan and a hardware switch (defaults to 24v) so you can bump it up to 48v for select units.

or not, I'm not interested in such a thing, I'm just waiting for all you beta testers to get the kinks out of the wispswitch ;) I'm using PoE injectors and 2 greenfields specifically NOT buying toughswitches.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:35 pm

With a known switch in the middle, it's pretty hard as it is to provide all purpose power capability to satisfy all needs. And with all the switch features the Netonix have, I can't imagine someone wanting to mess with a mid-span injector, with all the extra cables, at a remote site.

Personally, I think Netonix is going in the right direction. I don't want to see them wasting time on a mid-span.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:11 pm

rebelwireless wrote:because there are a few people that want to use a specific series of switch and just need a reliable midspan injector. That said, a 'dumb' PoE injector is easy, but to auto sense voltage needs is a different story and suddenly you've got a 'dumb' wispswitch to get the logic there :/

maybe keep with the dumb midspan and a hardware switch (defaults to 24v) so you can bump it up to 48v for select units.

or not, I'm not interested in such a thing, I'm just waiting for all you beta testers to get the kinks out of the wispswitch ;) I'm using PoE injectors and 2 greenfields specifically NOT buying toughswitches.

There are over 500 closer to 1,000 switches out there in service, this is beyond BETA.
We are refining firmware features YES!

However we will finalize v1.1.0 this weekend and at that point this is a DONE unit with all the original proposed software features with a field tested firmware.
There have been NO reported and confirmed BUGS with v1.1.0rc19 except FALSE fan failure notifications. - MINOR
LRL was not experiencing a BUG but rather confusing RSTP with MSTP.

We will then slowly start to release v1.2.0rc versions that people "MAY" opt to use for NEW features like MSTP but v1.1.0 has all the features that 99.9% of WISPs need.

My entire WISP is running off these switches and has been doing so since July last year and not one has failed so far.

You guys have known me for 5+ years as a no nonsense guy that just tells it like it is!
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

devo

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:31 pm

To be honest, never really thought about using private VLANs to turn the switch into an injector for the airfibers. That would actually solve the issue nicely and play well with the OSPF.

Now, when can I order a dozen DC units?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:53 pm

devo wrote:To be honest, never really thought about using private VLANs to turn the switch into an injector for the airfibers. That would actually solve the issue nicely and play well with the OSPF.

You should read this thread to see just that, using both Un-tagged VLAN options on 2 ports to create a mid span for airFIBER - click here

adairw
Associate
Associate

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:55 am

devo wrote:To be honest, never really thought about using private VLANs to turn the switch into an injector for the airfibers. That would actually solve the issue nicely and play well with the OSPF.

You can also look at my two posts in the install section. I am Mid-spanning 3 exalt G2 radios and one AF24 radio in our data centers. PLUS trunking four RM5 radios back to a single port on the router.

At one site I've mid-spanned the G2 back haul radio and trunked all the other back haul radios to other sites through one port to the router and all the AP's on the tower through another port.

IF you only used it as a mid-span you might be wasting a little money BUT you get way more features than any other mid-span I've ever seen with the various voltages and other items included. At dense sites, It just doesn't make sense to run EVERY AP that might only be running 20-60Mb back to a port on a router. group em up and use VLAN's I say.

Next
Return to What should we build next