WISP Router

Help us decide what to build next.
LRL
Experienced Member

WISP Router

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:34 pm

I'm not thinking reinvent the wheel here. But I was thinking more along the lines of a WISP switch/Mikrotik router combined. It would be pretty close to some of the routers Maxxwave has produced but why not roll all the tower equipment into one box? Most of us don't use a switch as a switch is normally used. It's really used as a big PoE injector with management capabilities.

I understand that there would be difficulties interfacing with router OS at least with the PoE features. Anyway you look at it we all use the switch as a router extension, it's just a matter of Tik, Cisco or Juniper. Why not combine it all in one and reduce the inter-device configuration and complication?

For what the idea is worth.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WISP Router

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:40 pm

We are considering a Layer 4 POE switch, but this is not something we can cram out in a couple months and we need to raise money from selling a few WISP Switches. *HINT HINT* :lol:

How are you liking your WISP Switch so far?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

LRL
Experienced Member

Re: WISP Router

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:50 pm

I love them! If I wasn't installing so much fiber for a client I'd be changing every toughswitch we have out for a WS. But once things slow down...

We've seen massive improvements on the two I've installed. I've got one other heavily loaded tower I want to change over. Unfortunately I need to let the new inverter and WS burn in together first. I just can't afford a failure at this tower. :leave:
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to What should we build next