2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T

Help us decide what to build next.
Brough

2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:02 pm

While I'd love some SFP+ ports, I'm equally (or more) interested in 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T copper Ethernet ports, with PoE.
Increasingly we're seeing >1 Gbps radios with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet connections, e.g. IgniteNet ML2.5-60-19-US and the Bridgewave FLEX4G series.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Re: 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:38 am

Agree!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:02 am

Please list any radios that use > 1G Ethernet POE ports?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Brough

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:40 am

IgniteNet has a radio that's shipping that includes 2.5 Gbps copper Ethernet with PoE:
https://www.ignitenet.com/products/metrolinq-2-5-ptp/

Others are discussions with no clear shipping date, at least that I am aware of.

Brough

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 am

Update, 4 months later... Now we are really interested in a switch with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet with PoE !!!

We now have 46 IgniteNet radios installed and we are adding a link or two per week. The IgniteNet 2.5 Gbps radios are running on 1 Gbps PoE right now, but they are TDD radios carrying traffic that's roughly 70%/30%, so I could be bursting well above 1 Gbps if I could get a 2.5 Gbps PoE Ethernet feed.

It also looks like the MikroTik S+RJ10 module has finally shown in delivery channels and may actually work:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1057221 ... 014582600/

But I would hate to have to deploy a switch with SFP+ connections, together with a MikroTik S+RJ10 module and an in-line PoE injector. Ugh!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:50 am

2.5G / 5G models are planned but not in the next few months, maybe late summer or fall.

The problems are the PHYs on the market currently that support this are EXPENSIVE and only come in single and 4 channel.

Current 1G PHYs come in 12 channel and are relatively inexpensive.

So if we went with 1 or 4 channel PHYs that are currently on the market the costs are HIGH and the board size significantly would be larger.

So if we go through the design phase based on tech on the market now we spend BIG money on designs, prototypes, certifications, and software development locks us into that design and costs when there are less expensive more channel PHYs are in the pipeline just not available yet. You need to build and sell a model for several years to be profitable.

We do have models coming out with SFP+ ports and the switch core chip is capable of 2.5/5 G copper ports but as I said the PHYs are not viable.

Better to wait for the PHYs coming out within the year.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Townsendkey

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 am

Brough wrote:Update, 4 months later... Now we are really interested in a switch with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet with PoE !!!

We now have 46 IgniteNet radios installed and we are adding a link or two per week. The IgniteNet 2.5 Gbps radios are running on 1 Gbps PoE right now, but they are TDD radios carrying traffic that's roughly 70%/30%, so I could be bursting well above 1 Gbps if I could get a 2.5 Gbps PoE Ethernet feed.

It also looks like the MikroTik S+RJ10 module has finally shown in delivery channels and may actually work:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1057221 ... 014582600/

But I would hate to have to deploy a switch with SFP+ connections, together with a MikroTik S+RJ10 module and an in-line PoE injector. Ugh!

Why are you dislike to use switch with SFP+ connections? Now these connections are not expensive than before. :crazy:

Brough

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:47 am

I have no inherent problem with SFP+ connections, although I am price sensitive. It's the combination of an SFP+ port to host a S+RJ10 jumpered to a PoE injector which needs to be plugged into a power source. Having all that in one box is vastly preferable to wiring up a bunch of such combinations.

Brough

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:49 am

Here's the kind of thing I'd like to be able to buy from Netonix: https://www.netgear.com/business/produc ... m4200.aspx

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:30 am

Brough wrote:Here's the kind of thing I'd like to be able to buy from Netonix: https://www.netgear.com/business/produc ... m4200.aspx

Netgear ProSAFE M4200 Intelligent Edge Series Ethernet Switch
8 x 1G/2.5G 5Gbps RJ-45 Ports - GOOD
2 x SFP+ 10G Fiber Ports - GOOD
8 x PoE+ 30W Ports - "ACTIVE" POE+ USELESS TO POWER WISP EQUIPMENT
240 Watt PoE Power Budget - NEEDS TO BE LARGER

Price: $1,149.99

This is an "active" POE switch which is great for SOHO application but lacks the following:
"passive" POE
48VH "passive" POE for AF, AFX, MIMOSA, and other high power radios
24V "passive" POE for airMAX and other WISP equipment.

Until we add MOSFETs, and current sensors as well as a beefier power supply as our newer WS2 lines have even larger power supplies to allow more 48VH ports and some newer 2.5/5G radios require more power.

Also this switch is designed to operate in environmental controlled environments so we need to add more fans which increases expense.

But you can see what I mean by the PHYs currently on the market raise the price a LOT.

Compare this price of $1,150.00 to our WS-12-250-AC

Sure we could come out with the following if price was not a factor and could sell for $1,150.00:
WS2-14-400-AC
(2) SFP+
Ports (1 - 12) 1/2.5/5 Gbps copper ports
Ports (1 - 12) "passive" POE capable of 24V,48V
Ports (1 - 2) "passive" POE 24VH
Ports (1 - 8) "passive" POE 48VH
400 Watt power supply
Door open sensor
External humidity / temperature sensor
External power control for fan control or such

Problem is not many people would want to plunk down that kind of money.

Keep in mind this would be a MILLION dollar model to roll out to production and how many people would pay.

Our goal is to have the same thing for under $750 which means we need to wait for NEW PHYs to come out that are not so EXPENSIVE.

If we design and go to production based on current PHYs we are locked into them unless we throw away the entire design later to move to other NEW PHYs.

Next
Return to What should we build next