Who wanted these?

Help us decide what to build next.
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Who wanted these?

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:19 pm

OK, well those ends are the same as the current ones but our openings are a little larger than UBNT ends but apparently you like really large openings. :rofl4:

They are not really meant for CAT6 / ToughCable Carrier but then again either are UBNT ends - LOL

If we made them to better fit CAT6 then CTA5 cable would feel like a hot dog in a hallways. :yikes:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:23 pm

I have not tried Chris' plugs, but the way I deal with the thicker sheath, is to pre-form (flatten) it into an oval prior to insertion. Then afterwards, push in hard on the sheath once the plug is in the crimper before crimping it.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:52 pm

sirhc wrote:We do have a new design coming out for the ESD drain wire but we wanted at first to make it look familiar for people.

One concern I have with having the drain wire crimp on the side is the sides can be a crowded place and so they have a greater chance of getting in the way or breaking off. I am curious what other location or design change you had in mind.

One thought I had was to put it top centre where the release clip is. The other thought was for a rolled edge so that the drain wire goes in sideways.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:36 pm

lligetfa wrote:The other thought was for a rolled edge so that the drain wire goes in sideways.

JIC your mind's eye cannot picture it, here is an example of a right angle spade connector.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:38 pm

something like lligetfa's, a rolled edge except collapsible.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Ja, well, collapsible was a given since it would be the same thin gauge as the rest of the metal. That was just a quick pic I googled for.

Also, I would assume it to not be fully closed so the wire could be inserted sideways and not have to be threaded in via the end.

I used to hunt down those connectors for soldering, not for crimping. The solder flow would strain relief stranded wire and the heat would melt the insulation further strain relieving the wire. Maybe I'm showing my age... does anyone still solder these days?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:54 pm

lligetfa wrote: Maybe I'm showing my age... does anyone still solder these days?

all the time! I'm an arduino addict.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:01 pm

We do have an end coming out that instead of the little ESD drain wire crimp receiver it has a cable stain relief where you wrap the ESD wire around the base of the strain relief then crimp the metal stain relief around the cable behind the end but you need to have a tool to crimp that but it is much nicer.
rj45.png
rj45.png (85.73 KiB) Viewed 20359 times
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:03 pm

I don't want yet another tool to carry personally. Just a small rolled edge I can smash with the pliers I already carry would be sufficient.

Previous
Return to What should we build next