Who wanted these?

Help us decide what to build next.
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Who wanted these?

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:47 pm

a couple weeks

I need to also determine the MSRP yet, any suggestions?

Let me guess $1.00 LOL
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:36 pm

sirhc wrote:Let me guess $1.00 LOL

No, cheaper. The Ubiquiti connectors MSRP at 49 cents.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Obviously these cost a good bit more to make.

Our normal connectors are $29.95 per 100 box

Ubiquiti connectors are $52.00 per 100 box

I am thinking I can sell these for $49.95 per 100 box MSRP and still make decent money doing it and should recoup my expenses to design and make them in about 6 months.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

josh
Associate
Associate

Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:20 pm

We've been looking to move to the ezrj45 style crimps/ends for infrastructure work, and stick with the regular ubnt "style" for our residential stuff.

I'm interested in pricing on these. If you can find a tool that isn't $100 that will work with them, even better.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Well... froogle puts the tool Chris mentioned in the OP at under $100 so I think we are golden.
https://www.google.com/search?output=se ... Crimp+Tool

adairw
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:17 am

My head installer mentioned wanting some of these awhile back. I'd probably buy them if you made them.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:27 am

Chris, is the back side sized appropriately for shielded cable? The issue I have with the current ubnt style ones (both yours and the ubnt ones) is that it's a b*tch to get any of the sheathing into the backside of the end.

I do really prefer the passthroughs style for installers, They can get the end in the right spot on the first crimp in a timely manner. Also especially nice while hanging from a harness with the cold wind nipping at bare fingers. @$.50 each and a sub $100 crimper, I'd be interested.

I would like to see the drain connector changed. Instead of a dangly thing why not leave a small gap and a little hole to thread it through right on the rear lip. OR better yet, a nice little path straight in that would be crushed with the crimp tool.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:59 am

rebelwireless wrote:Chris, is the back side sized appropriately for shielded cable? The issue I have with the current ubnt style ones (both yours and the ubnt ones) is that it's a b*tch to get any of the sheathing into the backside of the end.

I do really prefer the passthroughs style for installers, They can get the end in the right spot on the first crimp in a timely manner. Also especially nice while hanging from a harness with the cold wind nipping at bare fingers. @$.50 each and a sub $100 crimper, I'd be interested.

I would like to see the drain connector changed. Instead of a dangly thing why not leave a small gap and a little hole to thread it through right on the rear lip. OR better yet, a nice little path straight in that would be crushed with the crimp tool.

Are you sure you tried our ESD ends?

We specifically changed the opening size (enlarged) to receive the cat5 and we changed the cable chase lengths (shortened). Many people report our cable ends easier to install than UBNT ends?

We do have a new design coming out for the ESD drain wire but we wanted at first to make it look familiar for people.

Eventually in Q1 and Q2 we will introduce 6 styles of ESD ends to chose from. We just do not that the cash needed right now to make 1,000,000 of each to keep the costs down as all our money is currently tied up in these switches - hint hint

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:04 pm

I bought 200 ends from rfarmor.com in July. So I don't know if I have the newer design. I have to trim a bit of the sheathing on Shireen and TC-Pro to fit it in so I'm assuming no.....

So next, just make a machine that automatically strips, sorts, and terminates the cable and we'll be good ;)

I'm still wanting the powered coax transceivers.... 75% of my installs are replacing coax driven gear.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:18 pm

rebelwireless wrote:I do really prefer the passthroughs style...

I have not yet tried these passthrough styles. At first I thought they were gimmicky. It has taken a bit of practice, but I thought I had perfected the technique but trying to describe it in writing makes it sound ridiculously difficult. It involves pulling out as much wire as possible from the sheath so that the sheath is somewhat "spring loaded". Then the right amount of wire needs to be untwisted. Then it needs to be cut to length. Then one needs keep it all held together whilst losing the grip on the wire while inserting and the spring loaded sheath scrambles the order of the pairs.

So, with these they look so easy a neandertal could do it. One still needs to spring load the sheath and untwist the right amount of wire but at least the pair order would be preserved.

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next