WS-12-250B in half size enclosure

Help us decide what to build next.
lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: WS-12-250B in half size enclosure

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Well... you could always stand it on its hind end and make it as tall and shallow as you need to.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:45 pm

JustJoe wrote: You probably are aware that at 7.25" it is a little deep for some of our outdoor enclosures. :cry:

Who said it has to be put in the box front to back? Look, it is the same depth as a tough switch (approx 7"), it is the same height as a tough switch (approx 1.5"), but it is 3/4" wider than a ToughSwitch.(approx 8 3/4").

so 8 3/4" wide from side to side when you are looking at where you plug the cables in, then it is 7" from the front to the back, and if it is sitting on a desk it is 1.5" high....SMALL!

We made it 3/4" wider so that we can also build a small form factor 12 port with 2 SFP cages in the same chassis.

We brought the power cord out the front because with a ToughSwitch you lose a lot of space with cables coming out of both the front and the back.

So in closing anywhere you can put a ToughSwitch you can put our 8 port switch and someday this summer our 12+2 port mini.

Mount it on the back wall of the box so then if your box is 2" deep your fine.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Arg ... I'm sorry, I was mistakenly (unfairly) comparing it to the size of the 5 port TS POE, not the 8 port TS POE Pro. :crazy:

And I do agree, all cables out the front is a definite advantage. Your suggestion made me think that I might be able to make it fit by putting it into the back bottom corner of the box at a 45° angle, and that would also allow better view of the LEDs.

I imagine the front of the DC will have a simple terminal block for V+ , V- and Gnd ?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:25 pm

JustJoe wrote:I imagine the front of the DC will have a simple terminal block for V+ , V- and Gnd ?

I guess this is the best way to explain it?
The little PEM Nut left and up from the DC terminals is for an Earth Ground Lug
CLICK IMAGE TO SEE FULL SIZE
dc.png
dc.png (53.87 KiB) Viewed 25758 times
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Is there an official name/model number for "WS-12-250B in half size enclosure / 120VAC version"? With other proposals for different versions / options, it would make the forum discussions clearer. :wink:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:37 pm

JustJoe wrote:Is there an official name/model number for "WS-12-250B in half size enclosure / 120VAC version"? With other proposals for different versions / options, it would make the forum discussions clearer. :wink:

WS-8-250-AC

WS-8-250-DC

A small 12 port that will be the same size of the soon released 8 port(s) is not do out until late spring early summer if all goes well.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:13 pm

sirhc wrote: ...

WS-8-250-AC

WS-8-250-DC

A small 12 port that will be the same size of the soon released 8 port(s) is not do out until late spring early summer if all goes well.

1) Let me say a big Thank You for logical model numbers :!: :D

2) The talk here makes it sound like WS-8-250-AC will be out first and that could be as soon as several weeks, is that true? And if so, will you then wait to see when there are enough sales to work on the DC? Would that push the DC into May-June time frame at best?

3) You may not have the final price set yet, but would you be able to say whether the AC and DC will be the same price? If not, about what would you guess is the price difference?

Based on your answers, I will then probably ask how to pre-order the WS-8-250-AC for solar Frankensteination. :wink:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:21 pm

JustJoe wrote:
sirhc wrote: ...

WS-8-250-AC

WS-8-250-DC

1) Let me say a big Thank You for logical model numbers :!: :D

2) The talk here makes it sound like WS-8-250-AC will be out first and that could be as soon as several weeks, is that true? And if so, will you then wait to see when there are enough sales to work on the DC? Would that push the DC into May-June time frame at best?

3) You may not have the final price set yet, but would you be able to say whether the AC and DC will be the same price? If not, about what would you guess is the price difference?

Based on your answers, I will then probably ask how to pre-order the WS-8-250-AC for solar Frankensteination. :wink:

We have a limited first run of the WS-8-250-AC being released for direct sale on our web store before the end of the month with a LARGE production run landing mid-February.

We will have a VERY LIMITED amount of WS-8-250-DC released by mid-February with a larger run my end of February if all goes well.

It looks like they will be similar in price but that has yet to be determined by final costs.

Our 8 port is more expensive than the ToughSwitch PRO but lets compare
Larger buffers
Better switch core (in my opinion and by manufacturer specs)
250 watt power supply
Current sensors
Temperature sensors
Fan cooling
Console port
Able to power airFIBER and other high power demand radios
SNMP
SMTP alerts
Bandwidth control per port
Better graphing with instant graphs (do not have to wait for it to populate)
Static and LACP LAG
WALL MOUNTABLE OUT OF BOX saving you on not having to buy my wall mount bracket for $29.95
The list goes on.....

WS-8-250-AC estimated at MSRP $259.95
ToughSwitch PRO MSRP $190.00

So it costs $69.95 more but I think it is well worth it?

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:42 pm

sirhc wrote:
We have a limited first run of the WS-8-250-AC being released for direct sale on our web store before the end of the month with a LARGE production run landing mid-February.

We will have a VERY LIMITED amount of WS-8-250-DC released by mid-February with a larger run my end of February if all goes well.

WS-8-250-AC estimated at MSRP $259.95
ToughSwitch PRO MSRP $190.00

So it costs $69.95 more but I think it is well worth it?

Would you consider limiting "one to a customer" on the first two days of each of the two initial production runs? Having an early chance to see one would really fit into our new year planning cycle. :idea:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:49 pm

I might but don't you have a larger 12 or 12 though?

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next