Wisp Switch with power relay connectors

Help us decide what to build next.
twinkie76y

Wisp Switch with power relay connectors

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:31 pm

WISP Switch PLUS relay (WispSwitch+ ?).

A lot of time we take a WS-8-150 or a WS-12-250 and power radios like baicells or other 48V equipment by twisting cat 5 pairs together so that we do not have to install a separate relay.

It would be great to have a row of 2 to 8 connectors on the front of the switch that are just on/off relays, 48V only (not many uses for 24V I can think of). This could be off of the total wattage of the switch. At the very least it would leave ethernet ports open for non POE things.

Monitoring in the netonix like the POE (including port bounce, power statistics, etc) would be great.

Would certainly make thing prettier when powering non POE stuff.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Wisp Switch with power relay connectors

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:34 am

https://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp ... erTap&o1=0
The above tap only uses 2 pair so is only good for our 24V or 48V .75A but you can then use switch port to power other devices and control through switch.

We are working on a SMART DC switch that has HIGH amperage ports to power other 24V or 48V DC devices.

500W SMART DC 9V-72V input
2 serial ports 1 for console 1 for serial proxy to control/poll another serial device.
2 SFP ports
4 port 1G Copper port capable of 24V/48V/24VH/48VH on all port
2 DC terminal ports controlled by switch capable of 24V or 48V 5A+ per port with current sensors
External temp sensors
External door open sensor
External relay contact port that will pass AC or DC power when controlled to do so in the switch config based on programmable criteria
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:38 am

You can run most midspan passive PoE inserters backwards so that they are power pickers.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:01 am

sirhc wrote:2 DC terminal ports controlled by switch capable of 24V or 48V 5A+ per port with current sensors
External temp sensors
External relay contact port that will pass AC or DC power when controlled to do so in the switch config based on programmable criteria

Please, I beg of you, make these easily accessible from outside the switch.
i.e. no fiddling with JSON, no emulating a terminal session - simple commands to get data or set relay/output

All should be able to be done with passwordless SSH, snmp, or some other standard.
Integrating with other systems and logic will be much less of kludge, especially from a central server. Thanks!

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:42 am

If you want to pick off the PoE voltage from a port and still use the port for non-PoE ethernet, then an injector/picker such as the WiFi-Texas WT-GPOE-1-AB will do that. It can pick off A and B separately or together if you need more amps and use VH. Just pay attention to the polarity as one is reverse.

Mode A operation
- pins 1-2 (-)
- pins 3-6 (+)
- reversing option

Mode B operation
- pins 4-5 (+)
- pins 7-8 (-)
http://wifi-texas.com/pdf/WT-GPOE-1-AB.pdf

These can even be used as bookends to deliver two different voltages; one on Mode A and a different voltage on Mode B.

Anyway... back to the topic of providing PoE to a power relay, I've been pestering Dave to come out with a gizmo that will pick off the PoE from the switch to drive a relay in an inline power cord to any non-standard PoE brick. That way you could have PoE control over the non-standard brick that uses voltage or pinning that the switch does not support. My idea is falling on deaf ears here so I passed it by Murray at WiFi-Texas but he figures there's lots of IoT shit out there that does it already. I don't want to have to use another UI or platform such as IFTTT when the Netonix already has PoE control build in.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

All ports will be in the front so easy access

Easy to control in the unit via UI/CLI with simple ON/OFF or ON/FF based on conditions such as time or temp or such
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:04 pm

sirhc wrote:Easy to control in the unit via UI/CLI with simple ON/OFF or ON/FF based on conditions such as time or temp or such

By hand ?
Or by hardcoding passwords in Eric's PHP solution ?
By sucking JSON out of the switch, parsing it, and putting it back ?

I must be the edge case because none of those are acceptable solutions for me in a production environment.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Eric has provided ways to control the switch via the CLI from external sources, below are 2 links, there are more ways he has provided.

Thousands of people use these switches and it seems each one has their own way of wanting to control it, sadly we can not satisfy everyone.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2657&p=18548&hilit=+script#p18548
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2364&p=16666&hilit=+script#p16666

This generation of switches will not offer SNMP write, maybe the next generation will, it all comes down to limited resources (money and time).

This year Netonix will FINALLY get into the black. For almost 3 years we have been trying to dig out of the seed money we put into this.

I think we have shown that we do all that we can to satisfy your guys requests as much as possible based on our limited resources.

Maybe if Netonix gets to the next level where it is profitable and we have more talent and resources we can do more.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:59 pm

sirhc wrote:Eric has provided ways to control the switch via the CLI from external sources, below are 2 links, there are more ways he has provided.

Yep, familiar with those 'methods'. They are what I referenced.

Glad to hear you are finally in the black :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll wait until either more people want true control functionality that isn't cobbled together, or the resources are there. Have wasted enough time on deaf ears.
Don't invest time/money in it if nobody else wants it. Not everyone has enterprise backgrounds or needs.

In the interim I'll just keep using them as basic switches for what they do well... the best damn switches out there.
Maybe turning something great into a Swiss army knife is a bad idea after all :)

ps- Thank you for creating Netonix, and all everyone does. I and my customers will never use any other switch.

Chris@edgarhighspeed.com

Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am

This product will be a great addition for us, most of our sites use a TP-DIN to control enclosure (heat and cooling) we should be able to replace TP-Din's in sites with this switch.

Do you have rough dimensions on these units yet? will they be Din rail mountable.

** Keep us the good work **

We are working on a SMART DC switch that has HIGH amperage ports to power other 24V or 48V DC devices.

500W SMART DC 9V-72V input
2 serial ports 1 for console 1 for serial proxy to control/poll another serial device.
2 SFP ports
4 port 1G Copper port capable of 24V/48V/24VH/48VH on all port
2 DC terminal ports controlled by switch capable of 24V or 48V 5A+ per port with current sensors
External temp sensors

Next
Return to What should we build next