far fetched 802.11ad ptp :)

Help us decide what to build next.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

far fetched 802.11ad ptp :)

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:18 am

I realize this is far fetched, but.....

The FCC has opened up 60Ghz to up to 85dBm EIRP with a >=51dBi antenna. 60Ghz attenuates about 20dB/km, so you could get a pretty great link up to about 10km, with almost no fresnel, and very little likelyhood of interference. It's also a HUGE band from 7Ghz of channel!

The chipsets on the market all have outputs of 20dBm max. A reasonable 1m/3.3' dish is good for 54dBi at 60Ghz, so that's a 74dBm EIRP available today, which my math says would be good for ~9km or so at -60 signal.

I know there are a few 60Ghz products on the market, but I'm talking about an off-the-shelf, already available SoC that is already FCC approved.

some added thoughts. Because 60Ghz has such a tight beamwidth, 3x3 or even 4x4 MIMO might be realistic, and 802.11ad supports many spacial streams.

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Re: far fetched 802.11ad ptp :)

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:44 am

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:15 pm

rebelwireless wrote:I realize this is far fetched, but......

Far fetched is an understatement. Rain fade will significantly limit useful range. This band is better suited to shoot across a street or block. I suppose a WISP could use it in a high density urban tower deployment but not much over a KM.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:24 pm

The FCC opened up higher EIRP. 60Ghz is successfully used (and has been for a while) for up to 5-6km, the new EIRP is worth at least 2km. I've got a number of places that a really high speed 5km link would be perfect.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:47 pm

This is something we can look at down the road, all it takes is money and resources!

Our WISP Switch line is just about ready to start shipping and my "hope" is that WISPs like it and buy it. My partners and I have agreed to reinvest almost all profits into product line expansions.

I appreciate everyone's patience and support and the time is fast approaching where they will be shipping! All in all I think we did pretty good as this was our FIRST embedded system project and from start to production was 8-9 months where 12-18 months is common in the industry. However we want to be agile and our next project is on tract for less than 6 months start to production time table!

This is how we went about the development of this switch:
1) I conceived the switch back in January so I immediately selected a group some of which was Matt, Josh, Dallas, Sam, Mike, and a few others and called them asking for a list of features both hardware and software. We did not decide on a chipset until 1st week of February.

2) I compiled the lists into a single list and removed features that did not make sense for our first product because we do not have the deep pockets that Robert has and we have to make a switch line that can work for the masses.

The items that were on the list that got cut were:
Dual redundant hot swappable power supplies - too expensive for the masses
SFP+ ports - most WISPs do not need 10 Gbps ports at towers, this is not meant to be an Enterprise switch
802.3af/at - WISP's do not need 802.3af/at at towers they need passive PoE

3) I stayed in touch with the group throughout the hardware development and into the software development and continued to take suggestions on software features.

I did not completely design a product then bring out my Associates and do a dog and pony show after it was too late to implement changes BEFORE production.

This is what I had wanted/asked Ubiquiti to do with their Super User group for several years. I had conversation after conversation on the subject and was basically told that all the trips to San Jose were just a gift of appreciation for their support on the forums answering tech support questions and promoting their equipment. I pleaded with them time and time again that they were missing out on a fantastic resource with this group to help develop the best possible piece of equipment. Even my ideas were brushed aside time and time again like I was a small child suggesting to his Dad how to help. This is where I got the opinion that Ubiquiti felt they knew more about what you needed then you thought you wanted. Over time I grew frustrated with this mentality.

Years ago when Mike Ford was there we tried to get Ubiquiti to build my shield kits but Ubiquiti felt the answer was in GPS sync, fast forward 4+ years and their Titanium and AC line of antennas have tried to incorporated the shield kits into them. Now I will admit that the AC line has "seemed" to make a better attempt but time will tell. The only ones on the market are the 45 degree and in limited hands.

I had expressed concern over the possible thermal issues that might arise from the Titanium Rocket casing and of course I was ignored or at least it seemed so. Now the new AC Rockets have a perforated metal shield inside the plastic case which according to my calculation should not pose a thermal issue but this is a scenario where I grew increasingly frustrated and voiced my frustration in the UBNT forum which of course we all know I am now banned from posting. They say their forum is an open forum meant for the advancement of the community and that they like criticism as it helps them grow and improve so my question still stands why was I banned?

Anyway this long rant ends in this promise, with your support I promise to stay focused on the WISP industry only, no cameras, no phones, no enterprise switches other than maybe one for WISP NOC's and offices. I promise to have an open forum, to listen and as always I am here to help the community......now if I can get rich doing it then that is a bonus. :mrgreen:

I also promise to make equipment in North America, Europe, and other countries where people make a good living. Now this is not to say that some part will not come from China, I have nothing against China but I do have a problem when large corporations try to squeeze out every penny and also not try to put something back into the countries and communities they make their money from.

In closing I am still a HUGE Ubiquiti fan, Robert just does not seem to understand that one can disagree with a friend and even argue a point and still be a friend. Sometimes one must go outside the normal channels to enact change when one has exhausted all internal avenues with no success. Maybe if I am successful with Netonix and in the face of possibly losing money I can also force change? Was this my idea...........

Disclaimer:
The statements in this post are my "personal" feelings and thoughts on some issues and may not reflect the opinion of all parties involved.
There is always two sides of a story and somewhere in the middle is the truth.
All trademarks are the property of the owners of those trademarks.
I nor Netonix or RF Armor is associated with Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. in anyway.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to What should we build next