Tower Switch Mini

Help us decide what to build next.
JustJoe
Experienced Member

Re: Tower Switch Mini

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:58 pm

***Edit: OK, just dawned on me, the following is a great solution for me. But you want to take 48V up the tower and these down-converters can only handle 36Vin. :(

Hi lligetfa, I have been looking at this more closely and realize that your need for a remotely POE powered switch and mine for a solar/battery site switch (where voltages can range 22.5V-30V) have one common desirable feature: high efficiency/low power consumption. A lot of that power is taken up in the DC/DC converters. So based on a lot of research I have done in this direction, I have a question for you and other guys on this thread...

Could you run your lower voltage requirement POE gear attached to the switch on 16V-1.5A ?

How about 19.5V-1.5A ?

Part of the logic behind the lower voltage is discussed in this thread using the 45Watt APXW005 :

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/The-Lounge ... d-p/197720

What I am thinking is using a 1.5A 27Watt APXW003 (16Vout limit with 22.5Vin)

Or the less efficient and more expensive TI 1.5A PTN78000H (19.5Vout limit with 22.5Vin)

One of these on each port...

Then the nice thing about these is that they each have a low current on/off pin ... This means they could replace the POE output on/off transistors on each port, minimizing voltage drop across those transistors. ;)

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:44 pm

Chris said that the 48VH can output 50W. If the TowerSwitch Mini draws 10W for itself, that is 10W out for each port. I'd like to see 24V and 48V PoE out.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:53 am

Well, actually a little more than 50....but 50 watts is a good number to say safely. Actually 1.44 amps at 50V so 72 watts but that is pushing the upper limits of "constant draw".

Now Dave being the engineer would like to have some headroom but I tell him the Ethernet transformer people probably have headroom of their own in there!?

So if you power a mini with a 48VH port and the switch takes 10 watts then you have 62 watts left over of 50V to power 24V or 48V devices on the 4 other ports.

We also will sell a 50V 1.5A power brick for those that want to use the switch as a micro pop and mount on roof and put brick inside and plug that person into the brick for internet in exchange for roof usage.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 am

sirhc wrote:We also will sell a 50V 1.5A power brick for those that want to use the switch as a micro pop and mount on roof and put brick inside and plug that person into the brick for internet in exchange for roof usage.
Is it reasonable to assume that someone could use this on a DC-only site with the Tycon TP-DCDC-xx56G-VHP injector designed for AirFiber? Mind you, the additional cost may make one think twice about doing that and look at alternatives.

http://tyconpower.com/products/files/TP ... _Sheet.pdf

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:44 am

lligetfa wrote:Is it reasonable to assume that someone could use this on a DC-only site with the Tycon TP-DCDC-xx56G-VHP injector designed for AirFiber? Mind you, the additional cost may make one think twice about doing that and look at alternatives.

http://tyconpower.com/products/files/TP ... _Sheet.pdf

Or we could sell them our DC power supply re-packaged :wink:

How much is that Tycon Injector and does it regulate power?
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 am

Starting at $116.99 on their site. Yes, they regulate voltage. There are two models depending on input voltage ( 24VDC (18-36VDC) or 48VDC (36-72VDC))
http://tycononline.com/tp-dcdc-2456g-vh ... -out-dcdc/

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:21 am

lligetfa wrote:Starting at $116.99 on their site. Yes, they regulate voltage. There are two models depending on input voltage ( 24VDC (18-36VDC) or 48VDC (36-72VDC))
http://tycononline.com/tp-dcdc-2456g-vh ... -out-dcdc/

Ours would be 9-60V in with 50V out at 250 watts approx. (over kill) should sell for around the same.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Hey Chris... not trying to be a dead bolt on a rusty door (what does that even mean?), but is a 250 watt power supply going to start up this switch... keeping in mind the issues I've had?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:01 pm

mhoppes wrote:Hey Chris... not trying to be a dead bolt on a rusty door (what does that even mean?), but is a 250 watt power supply going to start up this switch... keeping in mind the issues I've had?

Now you are confusing the inrush demand of the AC power supply with the inrush demand of the switch board.

Since Vegas I swear you are hitting the beer just a little too much buddy! :cheers:

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:41 pm

So you're saying the DC power supply will not have this in-rush demand?

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next