POE injectors!

Help us decide what to build next.
michaeln416

Re: POE injectors!

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks for this description Chris; I really like setting up just a couple of ports as the midspan for my backhaul and then having a VLAN capable managed switch for everything else. I'm absolutely loving these WS-12-250-DC's!

Hey @WTM I have several used DLI POE-24's that I'd be happy to sell dirt cheap plus shipping charges (I'm in Canada). While they were great devices when I first started out I have already outgrown their 8x 100Mbps port limit, 24v only POE and slow 1 Amp battery charger.

In addition to those I have a number of used MikroTik PowerBoxes that are being replaced with WS-6-Mini's.

Mike

thewisp

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:14 pm

I FULLY BACK THIS IDEA!

We have been in search of a passive mid-span poe injector for a long time. We have used digital-loggers version, but it does not have 1gig ports, and only supports 24v or 48v, not both. We cant use them on our network at all anymore, as there is a policy that no 100Mb ethernet devices are allowed.

We actually are looking at the switch to use as a mid-span injector only, by isolating ports.

To many wireless devices are bridges only, and we cant plug them into a switch without making a mess of our network.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 pm

I use our switch as a mid-span injector for all kinds of expensive backhaul links, SAF, airFIBER, Ignite, and others.

Why would you want yet another device in your box.

Tell me a reason or condition this does not work?

Plus using the switch as a mid-span injector allows you to monitor throughput, packets per second, and such where as a mid-span could not report this telemetry. And then all your devices are in one simple UI instead of 2 places.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

wtm
Experienced Member

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Still suggest you could make a good chunk of money by bringing out one of these! DLI doesn't seem to want to bring out their POE-24 with 1 gig on it. Using Texas WiFi POE rack mount version, but it does not have remote mange on it! Don't need to buy a Netonix WS-24 switch at $600+ to use as an 8 port POE injector ! But if you did bring out a good "Managed" 1 gig 8 port POE injector at around $200-300, we would be buying it. Don't need a AC power supply, just DC in !

Previous
Return to What should we build next