10G uplinks

Help us decide what to build next.
User avatar
ginovilla
Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:01 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: 10G uplinks

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Why not standardize in IDC models... that way it can be used in + and - voltage situations? less SKUs

User avatar
sakita
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:44 pm
Location: Arizona, USA
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: 10G uplinks

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:25 pm

If you want dual power supplies just buy a DC model and then use external power supplies... but, realistically, more stuff = more stuff to break.

The Spirit of St. Louis only had one reliable engine for good reason. Don't forget that the multi-engine airplanes failed but it didn't! Pirate4

I think it is interesting that sirhc stated that they were designed for convection cooling but have fans added which helps with MTBF. IIRC, there was another post mentioning that the 6 port mini has a lower MTBF because it isn't fan cooled. So, I'm not in panic mode if a fan goes out but I do get it replaced as soon as reasonable (and keep a few spares on hand).

This leads to a good question, do the non-smart DC models run cooler than their AC powered counterparts? I've been considering going to the non-smart DC model and using an external DIN-rail power supply at those locations for two reasons 1) get the heat out of the switch, and 2) the power supply can sometimes 'take one for the team' if there is a power issue i.e. it blows up saving the equipment it is powering... and decent quality external DIN-rail mountable power supplies aren't that expensive. :?:

In any case (back to the topic), I'm kinda excited to see that new 'oil and gas' model as we have applications where its features look very useful for... :hurray:
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

User avatar
sirhc
Employee
Employee
 
Posts: 6487
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:48 pm
Location: Lancaster, PA
Has thanked: 1490 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

Re: 10G uplinks

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:07 pm

sakita wrote:This leads to a good question, do the non-smart DC models run cooler than their AC powered counterparts?

I've been considering going to the non-smart DC model and using an external DIN-rail power supply at those locations for two reasons
1) get the heat out of the switch, and
2) the power supply can sometimes 'take one for the team' if there is a power issue i.e. it blows up saving the equipment it is powering... and decent quality external DIN-rail mountable power supplies aren't that expensive. :?:

In any case (back to the topic), I'm kinda excited to see that new 'oil and gas' model as we have applications where its features look very useful for... :hurray:


Well a DUMB DC like the WS-12-DC verses the WS-12-250-AC or the WS-12-250-DC all share the same switchboard so the switchboard runs the same temp regardless.

The AC power supply generates heat and the SMART DC power supply generates heat but the switch boards are all the same.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

CrackerRiley
Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:55 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 10G uplinks

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Any update on these?

We'd buy a WS2-28-600-AC almost immediately.

marlow
Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:35 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 10G uplinks

Thu May 10, 2018 1:51 pm

WS2-28-600-DC is a must. It's not so much for 10gig, but more to be able to push more than 1gig on a port.

With 90+% sites in Ireland not having fiber, we're combining multiple xpic licensed links to get the bandwidth on sites and it's not uncommon, that we haul more than 1 Gbit/s from one site to another.

Looking forward to that.

/M

ZeRoc0ol
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 10G uplinks

Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 pm

We also need this because we started using the Ubiquity Infinity with 10G ports and doing multiple 1Gb seems to not work as great.
Any news on when will see at least the fist WS2-26 available?

User avatar
jonwang
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:58 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 10G uplinks

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:06 pm

Any movement on the WS2 line/10G ports? Never thought the day would come, but I'm in need of 10G ports more and more.

User avatar
sirhc
Employee
Employee
 
Posts: 6487
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:48 pm
Location: Lancaster, PA
Has thanked: 1490 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

Re: 10G uplinks

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:18 pm

jonwang wrote:Any movement on the WS2 line/10G ports? Never thought the day would come, but I'm in need of 10G ports more and more.


The 10G is WS3 line

First model is WS3-14-600-AC
Then WS3-14-600-DC

The WS2 line is a single small unit no 10G
WS2-4-50-DC
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

User avatar
jjonsson
Associate
Associate
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: 10G uplinks

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:29 am

sirhc wrote:
jonwang wrote:Any movement on the WS2 line/10G ports? Never thought the day would come, but I'm in need of 10G ports more and more.
The 10G is WS3 line First model is WS3-14-600-AC Then WS3-14-600-DC The WS2 line is a single small unit no 10G WS2-4-50-DC


So any estimated delivery time on WS3 switches ?

ftxsteve
Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:29 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 10G uplinks

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:36 pm

The original claim was Q1-2018

I'm guessing that the 10Gb line will be released when MT releases ROS v7.

PreviousNext
Return to What should we build next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests