WISP switches with at least a single SFP+ port

Help us decide what to build next.
maglito

WISP switches with at least a single SFP+ port

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm sure it's been requested before, but this would simplify and eliminate the need for LAG, airfibers in "midspan mode", etc.

SFP+ port would make the WISP switches perfect!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WISP switches with at least a single SFP+ port

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:46 pm

maglito wrote:I'm sure it's been requested before, but this would simplify and eliminate the need for LAG, airfibers in "midspan mode", etc.

SFP+ port would make the WISP switches perfect!

Not sure I follow "airFIBERS in "midspan mode" and what your wanting to explain? Try again - LOL
airFIBER links will not even get 1G, I know the AF24 HD can get 1G on "short" links.
The new cluster idea of (4) airFIBER X radios on one dish will not get more then 1G in 1 direction unless once again a short link and at the destruction of a spectrum and I have "yet" to "see" this "miracle" outside of a LAB bench or chamber experiment.

Yes, future models may get SFP+, it has been discussed but you have to have a router with SFP+ ports.

I just do not think the main stream WISPs are at this point yet?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Agreed, I don't think the wisp market is near ready for SPF+. There are exceptions, but you can't build a product for a minority and expect it to succeed.

We are just getting to the point of gigabit capable routers for a reasonable price, still don't have head end queuing at gigabit rates on inexpensive hardware...

I do some private tunnels to the datacenter and have 4 AF and a couple other high capacity links on the roof, so SFP+ is interesting in a switch because I just trunk VLANs. Right now, each customer gets their own physical port connected to the datacenter's switch, plus a few to my routers. I could save a number of ports with SFP+ to the datacenter, and eventually SFP+ on the routers....

maglito

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Most of the mikrotik CCR series routers have SFP+ for very affordable prices. We use your switches with a bunch of VLANs setup to a CCR Mikrotik as a core router in our network and the switch basically is used to add more ports to the CCR. However, in our use case that can lead to hairpin situations which could quickly saturate a single 1Gbps uplink.

I also read about how you don't like to run the Airfiber links back though the LAG due to concerns over unnecessary pause frames (or something to that effect) -- instead you effectively run them in midspan mode in your configuration.

Is that more clear?

I'm glad you are looking at adding SFP+ in future models.

Thanks!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:06 pm

maglito wrote:I also read about how you don't like to run the Airfiber links back though the LAG due to concerns over unnecessary pause frames (or something to that effect) -- instead you effectively run them in midspan mode in your configuration.

This is true although we are changing our towers to have (2) LAGs, 1 for local radios and 1 for back hauls going in and out of radios.

Yes local radios will generate many pause frames and with the LAG for local radios it breaks the pause frames up across 2 ports.

We feel that a 2G LAG for back hauls will be sufficient for up to 2 AF or other high end back hauls and save a couple ports as you can see in out screen grabs a 24 port switch is FULL and we could use those couple extra ports.

Yes with VLANs we too make logical ports for our tower routers so each radio is on it's own logical interface which keeps it's traffic separated which makes diagnostics of pack storms should they occur easy and it only affects one radio.

SFP+ is on the road map for future products.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sdwisp

Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:55 pm

I'm now in need a 2 Gig to a switch. Not seeing and new switch that will do SPF plus. What is the Max SPF on the switches. Thinking 1 Gig ???
Eric Williams
619-468-9600

SDWISP

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:28 am

WaBlera wrote:What challenges have you encountered in managing your network's capacity, and how do you envision integrating SFP+ ports into your setup to address these challenges? Additionally, have you explored other solutions for achieving higher data rates within your WISP switches?

We have the WS3 with two SFP+ ports

Had software issues but been improving them.

With latest RC version it has issue with RSTP but I am using them without RSTP fine.

Return to What should we build next