Indoor SOHO AP ?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Indoor SOHO AP ?

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:41 pm

No, we are supplying a BLUE RJ45 cover to put on the ToughCable connector so it is BLUE. If you go to the store you see a picture where we supply a BLUE BOOT then you can tell the home owner to plug the blue end into the jack with the blue ring around it.

CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO SEE FULL SIZE
caps.png
caps.png (94.59 KiB) Viewed 25747 times
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

wispwest

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:33 am

sirhc wrote:No, we are supplying a BLUE RJ45 cover to put on the ToughCable connector so it is BLUE. If you go to the store you see a picture where we supply a BLUE BOOT then you can tell the home owner to plug the blue end into the jack with the blue ring around it.

CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO SEE FULL SIZE
caps.png

I know what your saying, and the intention. I'm just implying that 95% of our customers have BLUE RJ45 patch cables going from the LAN ports to their desktop PC's/whatever devices. So how will putting a blue RJ45 boot on the ToughCable cord single itself out from the others if the others are also blue? The customer could look at the blue outlined WAN port and ALL the cables are now blue...

If you can make it a unique color (or really anything other than blue or gray), then that will single out the ToughCable cord from the others.

I believe I have reasonable urgency to change that, as it cancels itself out as a method of assuring the customer plugs the correct WAN cable in. Making it blue with a blue boot simply makes it the same color as the rest of the LAN cables, in probably 80% of all users out there.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:42 am

What color boot do you suggest?

I was thinking it would be easy to say "find the black cable with the BLUE plug on the end"?

They may have blue cables even with boots on them but a black cable with a BLUE boot is odd enough to single out over the phone I was thinking?

Maybe a black cable with a RED boot?
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:11 pm

While blue jumpers with a blue boot may be a popular colour, no matter what other colour you choose, in some regions, there will be the same colour ship with product.

Back in the day when crossover pinning was needed, I chose to use black since black is the standard in the TelCo industry. Low and behold, suddenly a lot of products were shipping with black jumpers. I had to pull them and swap them to another colour. Had a ready supply of black jumpers that I would cut in half and crossover the cut end. This was before I started working with outdoor solid wire with crimped ends.

On our process control network we chose to use yellow to denote. We had yellow jumpers and yellow keystone jacks. Then we started sharing the wiring closets and risers... swapping in or out yellow keystones to stay true to the colour standard. It got a little silly and we abandoned the practice of colour matching the keystones but kept the yellow for the jumpers.

For special/unusual connections, we opted to put Brady labels on the jumpers and near the keystones. Where it really mattered, we would cut the release clip short so that you needed to use a jeweller's screwdriver to release them.

TheHox
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:43 am

When do you think these will be in production?

RichieRich

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:37 pm

I am not really sure I care much what color the boot is as long as its not black. It would be nice to have options as it could be set to a company color, but a single color will keep your production costs and inventory costs down.

Ant

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm not sure how this could be done but here's the idea. Have two different reset options and logins. One would be a reset button that would reset the wireless SSID, passphrase, default lan/wlan ip addresses, lan/wlan dhcp server, and be easily found by the client like a little red button. The second reset button would be the standard non-labeled paper clip hole reset which would be the master router reset. This way a WISPs could install vlan management bridges and WAN options such as PPPoE and the client can reset their personal networks. Right now if I set up an Airrouter/Airgateway, I don't give the client the username and password because I don't want them to be able to get into our management vlans. At the same time, if a client needs their SSID changed or passphrase changed we have to login and do this for them. Could this dual system be done? Any guesses how much would it add to the overall cost of the router?

ISW-Mike

Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Good Idea ant! Have the traditional reset button that a customer would look for, allow that to reset basic things like wireless SSID and password. Also, if they wiped out their SSID / WiFi password, make it a requirement that WPA/2 Must be used before normal operation resumes.

Then, within heat shroud holes have a 'hidden' actual reset switch that only someone with the proper knowledge could find and utilize. The bottom could contain numerous breathing holes for ventilation but the one 3 over and 3 away from a particular point is the full reset.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Do you really want them able to make the AP "open" cause you know they will because they often request us to make it open at install and we tell them it is in our TOS that it must be secured otherwise their neighbors are using their wifi.

We always put their wireless password on the bottom of the unit with a label maker which is always "netlinx"+reversgraorian date of install.

example: "netlinx150404" <= Todays date.

We manage our customers AP (In our TOS), I would rather field the call to change it if they need it changed this way it is secure.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:31 am

Just make the default key off the MAC. That software discoverable and has to be printed on your FCC compliance label so it's easy to implement in software.

I do like the idea of a 'partial reset' or 'wireless reset' button. Why hide it? just label it on the bottom side of the unit.

I don't know that this is a killer feature, but there are times it would be handy.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion