The Great Mimosa 5Gc debate...

billbuchan

The Great Mimosa 5Gc debate...

Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:41 pm

In the beginning, we had a Netonix switch, running 1.0.8 and Mimosa 5G's running 1.1.1. They all happily were powered and ran at 1gb/s ethernet line speed. So far so good.

When we upgraded Netonix to 1.2.0 (current version as of this week is 1.2.2), around half stopped running at 1gb/s and ran at 100mb/s. We swapped cables, ran some on Mimosa PoE adaptors, all to no avail. Mimosa came in during remote support and basically advised us to run Mimosa Power adaptors. In the meantime, our Netonix fleet grew in size (17 now and only three f**king toughswitches to go!) and bumped up firmware versions.

On Monday AM, I upgraded a 6-port mini to 1.3.2, and the Mimosa on that link started running at 1gb/s. And has done for the last 36 hours (usually they back peddled in minutes). Same cable, same dish, same netonix switch, same power arrangements.

So - very happy with 1.3.2 firmware, and am planning on rolling it around the rest of the fleet.

A word of caution however. I don't run the switches with loop protection, and run multiple VLAN's around (as I'm sure you all do). On Monday AM, during the upgrade from 1.2.4 to 1.3.2, a new loop problem emerged and after much cursing and swearing, found it and eliminated it.

A bit of a warning. If you're running a bit of a shonky network like me, best be within striking distance during the upgrade. Not because the firmware is bad - I'm loving it - but because you might discover a previously undiscovered loop condition.

Hope this helps,

---* Bill

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Re: The Great Mimosa 5Gc debate...

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:21 pm

You should use routing instead. You get a much more resilience and calm network.....

I have discovered that with some devices (not Netonix switches), when the MAC-table is too large strange stuff happens. They can't cope with it...
After converting my network to all routed (also with redundancy using OSPF) everything runs so nice...

And of couse the Netonix switches made a complete different network. I'm so happy that I got rid of all the TOUGHshit switches....

Return to General Discussion