dc no din? ?

petecarlson
Experienced Member

Re: dc no din? ?

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Just a few holes in the back is all I'm asking for. If you were really nice, you could match them up to an existing DIN clip. The issue is we ca't open it to install... That being said, I found this post while looking for pics of the switch as I am doing drawings for an enclosure that we will need to cut the backplane to slide the switch into in order to get enough front clearance so DIN clips wouldn't work anyway... You can't design for everything, but the more ways to mount the better.

expohl

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Ok I have the perfect solution for this. Obviously you have extensive metal fabrication capabilities and the ws-12-250-dc has threaded holes on either side, so fabricate a "mounting accessory" that consists of a square metal band/bracket that would mount on both sides of the switch into the existing threads and then wrap around the back of the switch and have a din rail bracket attached... something like this but preferably metal and not plastic : http://www.winfordeng.com/products/pic/dinm15_face.jpg

expohl

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:31 pm

so this is an extremely crude drawing but the orange box is the switch, the black line is the proposed accessory bracket, the red is the din clip mounted to the bracket, the green and red marks (sorry they were both supposed to be green) are the screws that go into the existing threaded holes meant for rack ears. The red and black lines are the DC input connectors on the switch.

Make since?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 13648 times

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Yea this is along the lines that I was thinking as well. :thumbsup:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 pm

I don't mean to put down your idea but that is more metal than is required and would block the air holes on the sides.

I propose a length of U channel mounted vertical to the DIN rail. Drill two holes in the top of the U channel so that a bolt can go through the two holes and the through hole at the back corner of the switch. Easy peasy, no need to open the case or drill holes in the case. You could even use a cotter pin instead of a bolt for fast removal.

expohl

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:06 pm

So your talking about mounting the switch flat and taking up a bunch of space inside a box? or I misunderstood?

The ideal solution is just a din bracket mounted on the back, it shouldn't add $10 to the price and if you don't need it , it shouldn't be in the way but Chris sounds close minded to that, so my idea was this after thought bracket, obviously with integrated design he could do much better., Anything is better than nothing and I'm sure he can cut slots to not restrict airflow.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:10 pm

expohl wrote:So your talking about mounting the switch flat and taking up a bunch of space inside a box?

No, what I propose would mount it as you said you want it, facing out standing vertical.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:18 pm

I tried to google for something like what I described and this is the closest I could find without spending a lot of time on it. Just picture it with a hole for the through bolt.

expohl

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:39 pm

Can you make a picture? I'm trying to understand how to mount it facing out while using thru-holes facing the opposite way

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:04 pm

I will put some thought into this
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion