dc no din? ?

expohl

dc no din? ?

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:05 am

no din rail mounting provisions for a dc product? and a threatening "warranty void" sticker, how am I supposed to put this into any of our site boxes? guess I can try super glue ? any ideas are greatly appreciated

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: dc no din? ?

Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:05 am

Maybe fix a din rail mount via screw holes ?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:02 pm

We can look into making the chassis have DIN Rail attachment points.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:31 pm

The problem I foresee is that regardless what attachment you choose to add, someone will complain that they want it to face a different direction, attach at the other end or the middle, or some such.

There are already threaded holes for rack ears that can be used with DIN rail adapters and there are adapters that you could use the through holes on.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Yes this does become a slippery slope and probably a we can never make everyone happy as everyone does things differntly.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

expohl

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:47 pm

seriously ?

right now this is only good for desktop use, rack mount dc is maybe 30% of the wisp market, the other 70% is inside din type enclosures. I could waste a tremendous amount of space and velcro it flat inside the box. pretty much every dc type product wisp or not that Is used in our field has a din bracket.

I guess I'll remove the cover and rivit a din bracket on, we all know warranty void stickers arent federally legal anyway =)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:12 pm

expohl wrote:seriously ?

right now this is only good for desktop use, rack mount dc is maybe 30% of the wisp market, the other 70% is inside din type enclosures. I could waste a tremendous amount of space and velcro it flat inside the box. pretty much every dc type product wisp or not that Is used in our field has a din bracket.

If you notice there are 2 CHASSIS THROUGH HOLES that go from TOP to BOTTOM of the Chassis so you can run a screw through the Chassis to Mount to a wall or back plate?

20150807_130638.jpg
20150807_130638.jpg (107.79 KiB) Viewed 15091 times

We will eventually sell rack mount ears just not yet.

Possible mounting options for the WS-12-250-XX are:
1) "EASY" Wall Mount

2) Desk Top

3) Rack Mount with optional ears in the future

expohl wrote:we all know warranty void stickers aren't federally legal anyway =)

If the device in question is computers where there is changeable parts such as the use of an expansion port for memory or PCI cards this is true but there are no user serviceable parts or expansion options inside our chassis and thus no reason for anyone to open them so no we do not warranty opened devices.

Now "technically" if the user opened it and did nothing such as modifies the unit in some way and then the unit fails the end user may file a complaint.

But do you really feel we are being unreasonable in denying warranty to opened and possibly tampered devices? There are no serviceable parts or any expansion ports to be utilized so why open it. In your case you will be drilling holes in the chassis which does change the manufactured intended use possibly getting little metal shavings inside the chassis which causes a short on a low voltage line like 3.3V or 1.5V which you would never see any evidence of.

There are other options such as utilizing the provided through holes to make a DIN mounting plate.

Now with this said as a WISP I open equipment and modify from intended use all the time but I understand that I am voiding the warranty and I take that responsibility, most times the product never fails but I have been bit a couple times over the past 25 years.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Most industrial switches that are designed for DIN are closer to being square than rectangular and the ports face outward when mounted. How would one want the Netonix to mount? Do you want the ports to face left, right, up, down, or outward? If outward do you want the switch to be vertical or horizontal.

As mentioned, there are two through holes and there are holes for rack ears, either of which could be utilized with DIN adapters.

expohl

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:13 pm

outward vertical

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 pm

expohl wrote:outward vertical

As I said we will look into this for future productions but remember this is not going to change overnight as we have THOUSANDS in warehouse and channel warehouses, thousands are in production as it takes 12 to 16 weeks from the time we commit to a production run until it is done.

I think it is a valid idea and we can look into it but this will require the use of 4 PEM nuts on the Chassis Lid Back which will cost us just under $1 so close to $2 MSRP increase for how many people will utilize them?

A better option would be to just come up with an OPTIONAL bracket you can purchase for the few that will use DIN rail system. This is not the best way for those that do use DIN as the bracket will surely cost more than $2 MSRP but that way those that do not want it do not pay for it.

Another option would be to have 4 slots in the back that hook on a DIN rail bracket?

As I said I will investigate. Things that would help is those that do modify the chassis post pictures to see if there is a common way people mount it to their preference.

Next
Return to General Discussion